• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help- cant get yahoo account set up on EVO 3D - Fool's Errand

This is what HTC sent me today...

Dear Anthony,

I understand that you need to set up your Yahoo email on your we've. From what we've seen, this issue spreads to all Android phones but not necessarily all Yahoo accounts. Yahoo has again restructured their mail setup just enough to make things trickier; at first they had it set up so that you couldn't set it up unless you had their paid Yahoo Plus account. However, a way around that was found. With this latest change that they've made, we've so far found that the best (and possibly only) way to set up a Yahoo account on your device is to download the Yahoo Mail for Android application from the Android Market and set it up that way. That still works even when other methods don't. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USCW******27ENA.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

Edit: And his response after my thanks...

Dear Anthony,

I agree, a long term solution would be much better, and I believe we're looking into that. From what we've gathered it seems like Yahoo is making it so that you HAVE to use the app, which doesn't really make a lot of sense. I'm sure we'll find out more as the issue is investigated, and hopefully that will help us find a long term solution.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USC*****A002059.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

Upvote 0
I just checked my mail, and all my mail downloaded that was supposed to. I wouldn't lend to much credit to the idea that yahoo wants to make users use their app only, since on the yahoo mail for Android page lists IMAP as one of the options. I do think that Yahoo was making changes and that caused the issue and it helped that many of us contacted yahoo, HTC, and Sprint so that the problem was escalated and hopefully a solution reached.

Upvote 0
I just checked my mail, and all my mail downloaded that was supposed to. I wouldn't lend to much credit to the idea that yahoo wants to make users use their app only, since on the yahoo mail for Android page lists IMAP as one of the options. I do think that Yahoo was making changes and that caused the issue and it helped that many of us contacted yahoo, HTC, and Sprint so that the problem was escalated and hopefully a solution reached.

I just set up my yahoo account and it worked!

Your prob right about yahoo changing things. I'm just glad it works now :)

Upvote 0
I set mine up again and all this mail came through. It was already read mail cause none of it was bold. I have my Yahoo coming through my incredimail on my home pc with my other pop 3 accounts.

But I just sent myself a test message and I saw the circle with a one and I actually got the email as new it was bold. But I still get in the subject of the email mail still on server. Someone explained that to me once and I forgot what they said. But I think maybe it's cause my incredimail is open and the mail is downloading there too. I was having to keep incredimail closed to get new unread emails to my phone. But I think it's working again so I am glad. I'll test it more tomorrow going to bed now.

I just set up my yahoo account and it worked!

Your prob right about yahoo changing things. I'm just glad it works now :)

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with yahoo when upgrading from my hero to the EVO3d. When I put the exact same settings in the 3d as the hero I just got a blank inbox. I downloaded K9, it went through it's automatic set up and worked perfectly. The only difference I found was that K9 had TLS listed under security type. I changed the stock app security settings to TLS and I was 100% again.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with yahoo when upgrading from my hero to the EVO3d. When I put the exact same settings in the 3d as the hero I just got a blank inbox. I downloaded K9, it went through it's automatic set up and worked perfectly. The only difference I found was that K9 had TLS listed under security type. I changed the stock app security settings to TLS and I was 100% again.

Well that was interesting - a protocol change. Tried it - said it couldn't access my account when set to TLS. Tried it again with htc. prefixes removed from server paths - still no soap.

SSL is working w/ imap - today.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I don't have my 3VO yet and I've never used an EVO, but I'll take a stab at helping anyway because I get my mail from Yahoo (via K9 Mail on my current phone). Here are the settings I have in K9 that work for me:

INCOMING
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Security Type: SSL (always)
Authentication Type: PLAIN
Port: 993

OUTGOING
SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Security Type: SSL (always)
Authentication Type: PLAIN
Port: 465
Require Sign-In: [yes]

My gut tells me you might have the authentication configuration wrong (?)
Also, Complex757 (above) is correct, but also be sure to remove the leading period (i.e. "imap.mail.yahoo.com" as opposed to ".imap.mail.yahoo.com"). Hope this helps!

Just waned to let you know that this worked great. thanks so much.

Upvote 0
I seem to have the same problem with Yahoo using the Yahoo mail app. What exactly should my settings be to get it to push mail instantly? Under settings>accounts & sync I've got background data and auto-sync checked. Then under the Yahoo account menu I have 'update schedule' set at 'as items change (push)'. Also in that menu, I do not have 'Sync HTC Sense', 'Sync HTC Hub' nor 'Update when opened' checked. My mail only updates when I open the app. I want it to give me a real time audible notification. Been wrestling with this for days. Any help?

Upvote 0
Ok, staff has compared notes and we're on a fool's errand.

This is found across all Android, especially HTC, and effects every mail client.

Yahoo has been sweeping under the rug that they break and fix what's broken on their end every few days per a discussion with Yahoo.

Suggest either using the web interface, intercepting with gmail as documented earlier, or trying your luck.

Definitely complain to Yahoo and definitely take their lack of service into account when forming your personal email strategy moving forward.

Note - same nonsense is happening with Hotmail accounts for the same reason.

Upvote 0
The native app allows you to set up the account manually I recall reading somewhere that some of the YAHOO settings had changed, I will research and see if I can find it

Yeah I tried it. Not really a valid solution for me. I want to check all the accounts in the same app. I like the native mail app much better.

Upvote 0
Don't know if this will help, but I will post a few quotes from the user than was having issues and how they resolved it, it is from a different phone, but still the same settings apply, the first didn't work then she made another change, see below it

type email address then password > go to manual setup > IMAP
Incoming Server Settings
Username = email@yahoo.com
Pw = xxxx
IMAP server =

Upvote 0
Just to document it in this thread I will summarize the new issue I am having with Yahoo mail.

In short the native mail app on my Evo 3D recieves mail just fine if I manually refresh the account. It will not receive new mail in my Yahoo accounts via the automatic fetch settings which I have set to every 30 minutes during peak and every 4 hours off peak.

What is the difference when the phone fetches via the schedule VS manually forcing a fetch?

One thing that seems to be happening for me, If I have a new email in one of my non yahoo accounts, the yahoo account will update via the automatic fetch. If there is no new email in the non yahoo accounts, Yahoo will not update.

It has been suggested that I should clear the mail app data but the button to clear data (and clear cache) is grayed out even if I force quit the mail app.

Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall the native mail app? At this point I would like to delete everything related to the native mail client including data & cache for all four accounts and re-create them.

EarlyMon, I am a little confused by your statement. If you no longer want to document any of this on this site please let me know and I will stop posting. If you are only trying to consolidate all Yahoo issues into one thread then I completely understand.

Upvote 0
^Yep, this.

Getting Yahoo working is like nailing jello to a tree right now, unless you go for various workarounds, it's its own special case.

All other problems with all other accounts with any and all clients cheerfully welcomed in whatever threads the community wants to create and discuss.

My fear and actions are motivated by the desire to not let Yahoo issues hijack discussions on non-related mail problems.

Yahoo not updating is its own special deal, regardless of phone model or mail client. (ditto for Hotmail)

Most observables on Yahoo are now known to more coincidental than causal - Yahoo's really borking things up, and _their_ problem likes to present moving symptoms to us.

~~~~~~

You might have accounts not updating like Yahoo not updating - the symptoms are the same - the underlying problem in Yahoo's case simply isn't the same as the others.

Upvote 0
Just changed the settings manually. I only changed one of my yahoo accounts for this test. We'll see what happens in the next 30 minutes. :fingers crossed:

Still no joy. Pretty bummed. I have 6 days left in the 30 day Sprint return window. As much as I hate to, I am considering going back to the iPhone. This may seem small and insignificant to a lot of you but it is a deal breaker for me. On the phone with Sprint right now. They want me to try some other troubleshooting.

Upvote 0
Sprint's going to have you do things that won't work (aside from the factory reset - that helps lots of stuff, but not this) with Yahoo mail because the problem is on Yahoo's end.

Have you tried the Asia region trick posted above? You could set up a separate gmail account corresponding to each re-directed Yahoo account if you need to segregate the mail boxes - and when you reply, it says it came from Yahoo.

It sounds like that route works.

Not saying what you should do, just saying what you can do if you need Yahoo mail and want to keep the 3d.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones