Help choosing first device (and families)

Last Updated:

1. Devali8

Devali8 New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 8, 2010
    So, I am finally about to get my first android phones, sometime within the coming few months. I will be getting one for myself, one for my wife, and one for our 11 year old daughter (I know, we are just spoiling her, but hey, if I am going to have a cool phone, then I say the whole family gets one!!).

Anyways, we will be moving carriers over to Verizon here in San Antonio, and I just want to pick up some phones that we can all use (don't have to be all the same) and enjoy. For me, the one requirement I have is that it is rootable so I can do with it what I please. I run archlinux on my home computer, my home server is freeNAS, the wife has a macbook, and our daughter has a windows7/archlinux dual boot laptop (the winblows is for school), so you can see I like things open and like to control them as I please. If the wife/kids are rootable or not, is not a big deal to me, but once they see what I can do with mine, im sure they will want theirs that way too.

So, I really like the droid X so far, but have read about this e-fuse thing and it being a problem with rooting. Does anyone know if the droid 2 is going to be the same way? Only thing turning me away from the incredible is the screen in daylight thing, i spend a lot of time outside. Also, the samsung galaxy phones look nice, are their specs up to speed?

Anyways, as you can see, i am very confused and overrun with data points, please help me with recommendations, tips for buying, etc.

Thanks all!!

2. Pop Korn

Pop Korn Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stick with a droid x. Great phone. Easily able to root. It is so customizable even if not rooted. If you are only interested in rooting your phone I don't think you have to worry about bricking up your phone. And great thing about verizon is you have time to decide if you like the phone or not. If not they will let you exchange within 30 days