• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jeffro1

Lurker
Feb 6, 2011
Hi I am new to the forums. I am an ATT subscriber due for an upgrade and I like the features of their smart phones. However I do not want to be forced to sign up for a data plan. I already have unlimited text and that's pretty much all I need. Anyways the only time I would ever use the internet would be when wifi was available anyway... I was looking into the captivate and was wanting to ask all of you the best route to go in acquiring one of these devices.. I was reading stuff about this phone and unlocking it. Will ATT unlock it for me? Where can I buy one at 2yr contract pricing that is already unlocked? All additional info would be much helpful thanks!

Since you'll have to get a data plan, go for the $15/mo., 200 mb data plan. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but I'm not sure any wireless carrier will activate a smartphone without a data plan.

Yeah unfortunately all carriers require smartphones to have a data plant to activate the phone. AT&T used to activate smartphones without adding the data plan but that changed around the time they released the HTC pure. (i know this cause that is when I was forced into a data plan cause I got the pure, but I was going to the pure from the htc fuze and the data plan was optional at that point)

Upvote 0
I thought if you buy the phone outright, you don't need a data plan and the requirement for a data plan is part of the subsidized price. Is that true?

No it is not. AT&T requires data plans for their smartphones.

Feel free to tell them what you think of that policy, but unless enough people complain and they change it, that's the current policy and they go to lengths to enforce it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones