• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help droid newbie - assign custom ringtones to contacts???

Hi there... Totally new to "smart phones" and feeling pretty dumb right now ;-(
I have managed to download a bunch of sounds (mpga) and saved them in my "sounds" folder on my Captivate. And following advice, have gone into my Contacts, scrolled down, and assigned a file as ringtone, then hit "Save".
When viewing the contact, it shows the file as being assigned as their ringtone...
And then when the call comes in.... Rings as default.
Whats going on? Do the sounds have to be in the Ringtone folder? If yes, how do I do that? If no, what am I doing wrong?

Is the call coming in with the number you have assigned as their contact?

Once - only once - I had a call come in from someone on my phone who had an assigned ringtone, and it came through as the default rington. Never could figure out what happened there, and it seems to have been a quirk.

I'd say if you've got family or someone else readily available that would be willing to call your phone again and test, see it you can replicate your issue.

Upvote 0
Yes, the call is coming in on the correct phone number. I have my husband right here (who has the same phone and is having the same problem) and he has called me... Rings as default. But when I view his contact details his ringtone is listed as assigned.

The tone assigned is an mpga file, and is saved in the "Sounds" folder.

Upvote 0
Do you maybe have him listed 2 times in your contacts and not linked to the one contact with the custom ringtone?

make sure you are viewing all contacts - could it be that his name and number are stored on the SIM card, or in a separate google contact? Usually like numbers are linked and displayed as one contact, but if they become unlinked - the phone could see the one with the default ringtone first.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones