• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP?? Droid original screen works when open, but not when closed

Just today, i closed the phone and i went to hit the power button to check it and it just stayed black. I figured maybe the phone turned it self off. So held the power button and nothing. So i took the battery out, put it back in and it still didn't work.

Finally i opened the phone, the screen lit up and i could use it. But the second i closed it, the screen stays black.

The touch screen still works! i know where the unlock is, and i slide it across, i feel it vibrate. But the screen won't turn on. The second you start sliding it closed, it goes black. I've tried everything.

I called verizon, lady had me do a factory reset (which i now lost all my apps too because she informed be they'd be available in the market in the downloads, they were always there before. after the reset, 6 out of 20+ apps are listed, now i have to remember all of them)

So the factory reset didn't work, all they can do is send me a refurb. and i don't want one but i'm not eligible for an upgrade for a year. I used to have a voyager and..same situation the screen stopped working..i went through 3 refurbs in a month because each on had something wrong with it.

I take very good care of my phone, no water damage, no drops. My voyager, enV touch and now my Droid have all had random dead screens.

makes no sense, the screen is fully functional when open. But won't light up when closed.

sorry its soo long.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones