• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP! Droid Won't Turn On!

KelliB88

Lurker
Aug 20, 2010
So I got a text message early this a.m. and I go to check it... my phone freezes up then makes loud beeping noise and shuts down (it was also on the charger). It would not turn back on. I took the battery out put it back in turned it on, came to a screen with what looks like a box and an arrow coming out of the box and a phone icon next to the box... then it went to a pic with the phone and a huge triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. I do not know what's wrong that's as far is it would go then it would shut down. then I repeated the taking out the battery putting it back in then turning it on. This time it came to the back screen with the Motorola Icon white circle with M in the middle but won't go any further... I've repeated the battery thing probably about a dozen times and I get nothing... pleeeease help me!!!! Thanks,
Kelli:mad:

This condition has been induced for a number of people by the pushed Android 2.2 update that's being occuring during the last 1.5 weeks. I witnessed a number of people coming into the VZW store last night describing the same problem.

If you feel technically inclined enough, it is possible to restore the phone to working condition on your own. It just takes some time and patience -- plug a USB cable, PC, and some software.

If you really don't feel like messing with it, you can take it to a VZW store and have them do the work on the phone. Rest assured that your phone is not permanently broken.

Upvote 0
This condition has been induced for a number of people by the pushed Android 2.2 update that's being occuring during the last 1.5 weeks. I witnessed a number of people coming into the VZW store last night describing the same problem.

If you feel technically inclined enough, it is possible to restore the phone to working condition on your own. It just takes some time and patience -- plug a USB cable, PC, and some software.

If you really don't feel like messing with it, you can take it to a VZW store and have them do the work on the phone. Rest assured that your phone is not permanently broken.

Thanks, but I don't think I did an update but who knows I might've accepted one by accident. It's probably best that I take it to the store I just wanted to make sure they'd fix it b/c the closest store is like an hour away! But thanks, this makes me feel a little better!

Upvote 0
It's quite possible that the update prompt sat for long enough that it just finally forced the install on its own -- don't qoute me on that. I can't be sure of that though as I've never received an OTA update to my Droid. I'm so impatient that I've always done the update myself as soon as it's available online.

And yeah, they'll fix it no problem. Just be warned, if they have to reload android on your phone, you'll have to reload your apps, set up your screens the way you want them again, etc. as this will wipe out the majority of the phone's configuration. It just depends on what exactly they're doing to fix the issue. You may just want to ask them if you're going to lose everything when they fix it if for nothing but peace of mind.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.

Kelli-Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread, but I was assuming that maybe your phone just accepted the update, as was suggested in an earlier post.

I also called VZ tech and they said it is a simple fix, even if it wasn't caused by the update, but more than likely your phone updated, which caused the issue.
oh no don't be sorry! I really appreciate the help! I didn't make it to the store today but it's comforting knowing that it's an easy fix! Thank you for your help! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones