Help! Droid X messaging problems!Support

Last Updated:

1. bdudek

bdudek Active Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my DX friday in the mail and I didn't notice the problem until today when I first tried to send a mms to friends. I CAN'T.

I've attached a picture to both the stock messenger and handcent but it's not able to go through. Stock messenger gives me an error or "National access coverage not available". I've called VZW to make sure all my settings are up to date, that there are no blocks, but nothing. Tried *228 to update roaming and also battery pulled twice after they reset some things on their end.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue or know how to resolve?

Advertisement
  2. T66T

T66T Well-Known Member

its a bug. put your phone into airplane mode. wait a couple of minutes then turn airplane mode off. should be fixed

3. bdudek

Darn, didn't work. How did you come across this method? I'll try a couple more times though

4. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member

Can you access the other data features, like internet/market/etc ?

5. bdudek

yes, internet email market everything is working. However the new news and weather widget won't add news feed, says can't add news right now please try later while the weather widget can't find my city. That's a different problem I'll deal with later

6. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I haven't had this problem ive actually been able to send pics unlike with my inc where i would have to resend it 3 or 4 times to get it to send a mms

7. T66T

T66T Well-Known Member

because it happened to me once before. first thing i thought about was airplane mode. it worked for me

8. bobomatic

bobomatic Well-Known Member

did you take the battery out and restart? LOL..j\k. i had a block on my line when i picked it up and that was the first thing CS asked me. only thing i can think of is, did the network settings get changed somehow?
    good luck

9. bdudek

Currently on the phone with a VZW rep, he's stating there is no block. Still pictures via mms unable to send to any contacts.

Update: technical support couldn't fix the problem after an hour on the phone. I'm left with going into a store monday. if they have to issue me a new DX that would be fine except for the fact that I just put on my full body invisible shield. I better be comped for that.

UPDATE:Had to to a factory reset. Cleared up all my issues, sending picture messages, not being able to load news or weather into stock widgets, and not being able to get the OTA that dropped last night.

10. johnny9374

johnny9374 Member

ive tried airplane mode and a factory reset nothing worked ugh

11. bdudek

I actually spoke too soon. The factory reset worked initially but I got the same error message after sending three picture messages. I've been told I'll get a swap for a different X.

12. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member

Good news. Glad that worked for you. Are you using the Zagg invisible shield? Do you like it?

13. bdudek

Yeah, I really like it. Was a bit terrifying putting it on but after the bubbles worked themselves out, the reduced glare is a big plus since I work outside.

But unfortunately, I spoke to soon with the fix. I'll have to get mine swapped.

14. Madman19

Madman19 Member

i was having the same problem....but only when I'm at home and connected to WiFi...hope theres a fix for it so i don't have to disconnect wifi just to send a pic

never had a problem with anything else on the phone tho...email,browser and market all work fine

15. bdudek

I just got my replacement phone and same story so I figured it was something advanced task killer was killing. Left most of the initial progs running and haven't had a problem since. Note to all those with similar problem, watch what you're killing

16. hob0d4n

hob0d4n Well-Known Member

Hey I'm having the same problem. No National Access Coverage blah blah crap, weird thing is that i dont use TK. Anyone else getting this?

17. RPMGSXR

RPMGSXR New Member

I have narrowed this down to WIFI interference. I turned off WIFI and the MMS sent no problem on the first try.
    Oddly, I turned WIFI back on and it still sent an MMS/picture message.

Weird.

18. bdudek

I actually found my problem to be advanced task killer. I was killing things like tts service, voice commands, city id, and sync. Since stopping killing those I've had no problems sending mms

19. hob0d4n

i just took mine into the store and they just hard reseted it.

20. bdudek

and that fixed everything? had you ATK on before taking it in, and have you installed ATK after the hard reset?

21. hob0d4n

i had an TK before but after reading what you said before about killing tasks i didnt install after the hard reset as a safety precaution

22. bdudek

Has that been working?

23. FearSys

FearSys Member

I had this same problem. I call VZW support and they told me to remove battery for a few secs and reinstall. Once i powered back up the phone was able to receive and send mms.

24. 10-8-enroute

10-8-enroute Member

To The OP:

I had this problem with my old Blackberry Tour 9630 and I have experienced this problem with my new Droid X, which leads me to believe there is a "SIZE CAP" on MMS files. Here is what I have discovered and I hope this works for you.

On my BB Tour, when I would try to send an MMS Picture or Video and the picture was over 2MP big, or the video was over 2MB's big, it wouldn't send.

On my BB Tour I had the default picture settings to the largest file settings which was 3.2MP's. When I would attempt to send a picture the file wouldn't send. When I downsized the picture, to under 2MP's, it would send out just fine. Same related issue with the videos. Anything larger than 2MB's, I had to send via Email from the BB.

On my Droid X, I have experienced the same issue. The default settings for pictures on the Droid X is 6MP's. That is a huge file. When I have tried to send the pictures at this setting, they won't send. However when I shrink them or take pictures under 2MP's in size, they send just fine. Same for the videos. Anything over 2MB's in size, they won't send out, anything under 2MB's they send just fine. For the bigger pictures (Greater than 2MP's) or videos (Greater than 2MB's) I have repeated success just emailing them.

I have called Verizon about this issue with my previous BB Tour 9630 and my current Droid X. While I have never been able to get a firm answer as to if there is a "SIZE" limit on MMS files, I have had a few TECH Agents say there is a limit and I have had a few say there wasn't any limit that they knew of...

So try shrinking your file (Picture or Video) to under the above listed criteria and see if that works. Hopefully it works for you....

I would also be curious if anybody has had any similar success.

Have a good week....I am out!

25. jthacker

jthacker Well-Known Member

Here's my question then: If there is a data cap (which would make perfect sense, but I haven't specifically downsized any photos manually yet to see if that works for me), why does the phone not resize the photo to the correct size automatically? When sending a large picture, it pops up with a "Picture too large. Automatically resize picture before sending? Animation if any can be lost!" with an option to "Resize" or "Cancel." The Resize option then brings up another notification box that says "Compressing."

If that is the case (MMS Size Cap) then photo compression for the X isn't working properly.