Help, eris issues not downloading mms messagesGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jusdebbie

jusdebbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please help me, im going nuts! My HTC Eris stops receiving mms messages after about 5 weeks and sometimes sms messages dont come thru either. This is the second time this has happened. Often im not even alerted that a message tried to be received. Other times i get this generic message as an incoming message that says who its from, the message size (which always states 30kb), and expires (5 days from the current date). It also shows a gray box that you can touch to download but it tries and then sends a message to the bottom of the phone that says "download of message unsuccessful." Occasionally when a new pic message tries to come thru, it forces an old unsuccessful picture message thru. Verizon has no answer or resolution nor does HTC. I have tried using the other message programs and they dont work either. Any help would be very much appreciated as i am so frustrated over this!!

Advertisement
  2. mattjphoto

mattjphoto Well-Known Member

I have been getting this message for the past 2 days now too.

3. jusdebbie

Caddy, yes 3g is showing. I went to Verizon yet once again and they now have "opened a ticket" on the account. I guess this means they research everything having to do with my service from the towers to the signals to the communication and so on. From this if they find nothing i will do another hard reset (which i so dont want to do). If it starts yet once again, which is has before, they will then issue me a new number. They claim that sometimes a number can have some quirks to it. I dont really get that as ive had this number for close to 20 years and NEVER had a problem prior to Novermber when i got the eris!

4. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I'm having this problem now also. Seems to have just started doing it this morning. I'll press the "download" button and get what seems to be a text message sent back to me saying "message not downloaded." I've tried a battery pull/restart and that didn't work. I'm not going to do a full reset, because I don't have much faith in that either. Any suggestions, short of a full reset? I plan on calling Verizon tonight, but I think I may as well talk to the wall.

5. jusdebbie

My pictures started working today out of nowhere! Im not convinced it is fixed, probably just a fluke that they are working. But ill take what i can for now!

6. holabitchola

holabitchola New Member

Does anyone have a answer to this. This is such a problem..I am unable to receive anything!

7. Philosophre

Philosophre Well-Known Member

Well since you posted this, a leaked 2.1 came out. You could jump to that to see if it solves the issue.

8. jusdebbie

Thanks...how do i "jump to that"?!!

9. jusdebbie

Stopped working again :)

10. debscan

debscan New Member

Same problem for me -- worked just fine for the past 5 months, and just stopped working about two weeks ago -- I'm getting the same error message as "jusdebbie", despite battery removal, etc --

11. jusdebbie

HTC and Verizon should be paying ME! Im so over this issue. Anyone have any suggestions? They claim the "magical" update will fix the problems so i want to hang on til then. I know getting a new phone or doing a hard reset will only work temporarily as it has in the past.

12. moviemngr

moviemngr Active Member

Weird, I just started having this problem the last couple days. I uninstalled Handcent a couple days ago to free up memory, and I found the SMS popup works fine replacing handcent, but now I keep getting a generic network failure. 3G is on and I can use the internet and everything else. I also noticed that another mms usually pushes the older one to work, but not always.

Is it possible it is a geographical issue? I am in the Midwest, more specifically southwest Missouri. Where are you all that are having the issues?

I'm running Leak 2.1 v2 non root, with no problems until now.

13. regulatre

regulatre Well-Known Member

My wife's phone has been having the same problem. She has the Droid Eris.

I tracked down the problem as far as I could. I explained it in the following forum post:

Recent Problems Receiving Picture Messages - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

The problem is coming from upstream as far as I can tell. They're providing invalid MMS URLs (sometimes, randomly) and when that happens, the phone is unable to download a picture. The URL is stored with the message locally and therefore pressing download will never work.

14. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

yea when it happens wait till the next day or even an hour sometimes and retry, often it will work then.

15. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

My wife's Eris (on 1.5) started having this problem a few weeks ago. No simple solution was ever found... I ended up doing a hard reset and it wasn't as painful getting everything back to normal as I thought it would be. She didn't complain either as being able to receive MMS was worth the (short-term) inconvenience. Anyway, the problem has NOT re-occurred (yet).