Help finding a launcher to fit my needs

Last Updated:

1. Aaron Kester

Aaron Kester Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been looking for a launcher that will fit all my needs and specifications but I havn't found it yet looking in the android store so I was hoping some of you guts could help.

1. It needs to have the stock Motorola Droid tab on the bottom that you pull up to acces your list of apps.

2. 7 screens minimum

3. You need to be able to set which screen you want as your defult.

4. Id like to have additional shortcuts next to the tab described in 1 (Like you see on Froyo on the Nexus One)

5. Being somewhat customizable would be nice.

Advertisement
  2. antron007

antron007 Active Member

LauncherPro. I think it may even be called LauncherPro beta. It's in the market. Should meet all of your needs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Aaron Kester

LauncherPro beta has all of those but that it doesn't keeps the defult Droid tab at the botton, it uses a Nexus One looking one. I know its not a huge thing but I like the pull up droid tab.

Launcher+ doesnt allow shortcuts next to the tab, Helix has the same problem as LauncherPro it uses a different tab, and Tag Home doesn't allow you to change the defult home screen from the middle one.

4. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Look in settings for Launcher Pro - under Appearance Settings>Dock Background there are settings there are options to change the look that might make you happier.

Launcher Pro is the best one out there now, IMHO, ADW close second. Either of those are definitely your best choice for a launcher at this point.

Good luck...

5. Aaron Kester

While LauncerPro is very customizable it doesn't have an option to change the tab from the defult one which is what I'm looking for. Thanks though.

6. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

With launcher Pro you can use a custom icon. You can't get it to look exactly like it but somewhat similar.

7. Aaron Kester

Can you explain this, cause I havn't seen any option for it anywhere.

8. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

You are too picky. Just install them yourself and find one!

9. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro Beta allows for customized icons for all shortcuts. The app drawer is now a regular dock shortcut so you can change the icon image to the stock one if you like. The only thing I can't help you with is finding an image of that stock icon. Sorry.

But all your needs can be provided by this launcher.

10. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Really, you have to have the exact same pull tab for the app drawer??? What is the reasoning behind this? LauncherPro is far ahead of every other home replacement out there, and if this is your only problem, perhaps smart phones aren't for you :rolleyes:

11. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Besides, it's not nexus one looking, it's the way all new android apps will look. That includes our droid.

12. Aaron Kester

Sorry I fail to realize how wanting my phone customized to my specifications has anything to do with whether smart phones are for me. If I didn't want my phone customized I'd get an Iphone, I don't think it is so outlandish to expect a phone on Android (the model example of customization) to fit it the way I like.

I like the pull up tab app drawer better than the push icon, is it so weird that as such I would want my phone customized to have it?

13. Aaron Kester

I have seen what your talking about. If anyone does know how to get the defult droid image that would be nice. Im willing to bet this still wont let me pull the app drawer it will only be a push button, but I could live with that if it is my only option.

14. xmr405o

oops, I didn't know you wanted the pull up tab also. Then LP Pro Beta doesn't do that. I thought you just wanted the icon. I'm not sure if it's gonna be compatible with the newer versions of Android but you can try to see if there's an old 2.01 launcher apk floating around on the web.

15. xmr405o

Yeah, it'll be push button. I would try to pull it for you in some of my stock update zips but I don't know how to do that. :eek:

16. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

The other problem that you may not like is that the icon would be square and not rectangular. But I could easily make something for you if you would like.

17. Aaron Kester

Ok, so if I want it to be pull tab and not a push button how do I change it?

18. xmr405o

My bad, I meant Launcher Pro doesn't do that. Sorry I'll edit my post. If you want the pull tab you'll end up sacrificing customizability and app dock if you go with a modified stock launcher. I don't think it's worth it.

19. condog

condog Well-Known Member

you will not find the pull tab on any 2.2 roms, any launchers in the market or pretty much anything anymore.

20. Ebaneezor

Ebaneezor Well-Known Member

Try adw.launcher

21. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, if you want the pull tab, you're stuck with the stock launcher.

If you root, however, there is the option to have the stock launcher with 7 homescreens. I'm pretty sure Bugless Beast has the option.

IMHO, you're better off with LauncherPro. As far as speed, it can easily handle seven homescreens. Just my two cents though.

22. Aaron Kester

Alright well I can definitely see that LauncherPro is the way to go, I can live without the pull tab. One last question: I currently have all my 7 screens set up on Launcher+, is there a fast way to transfer it all to LauncherPro?

23. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Not from what I've experienced; each home replacement must be set up fresh. Also, be sure to remove all widgets from stock and launchers you aren't using, as the OS will run them even though you don't see them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

24. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no way to transfer.

Also remember a few things about laucnher pro. In advanced options, you can get an extra row of normal icons (although this makes the landscape homescreen look bad--I do not want a landscape home screen). To add something to the dock you need to hold down and icon until a pop-up comes up. The dock swipes side to side for an additional 10 icons.

25. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member