1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help finding best android tablet for Christmas

Last Updated:

1. ellesteele

ellesteele New Member This Topic's Starter

I apologize in advance but I am a newbie to this android world. My boyfriend is a programmer and mentioned he wanted a android tablet touch screen for Christmas. His main goal is to have a device he can test out the applications he writes. He already has three PC's at home so I am not looking for another computer necessarily. More like the ones that are 7-10 inches. I've seen so many online ranging from $99-300 and up and my goal is to find him one under $200.

If there is anyone out there that can help me understand and recommend a good touchscreen android tablet for under $200 I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,
    Newbie Elle

Advertisement
  2. lizard

lizard New Member

I know this is way beyond your budget goal of $200 but I'm in a sim situation so giving you my 2 cents. I'm also looking for the best droid tablet.

After reading many many reviews and playing with as many devices that I can find in stores, I've decided to buy the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab for $599 from Amazon. T-Mobile's tab has 16GB internal where other versions have 2GB internal and then a 16GB mini-SD.

Buying from Amazon will allow me to get it without a contract. All the carriers such as T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon want at least one 30 day contract plus activation fee before selling.

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

WiFi only. Haven't read much about it but might be worth looking at.

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

Also at Sears, since Sears and Kmart are related.

4. Cyansmoker

Cyansmoker Active Member

Note that this tablet's resolution is 800x480, which is no better than a phone.
    I know I've been looking for a tablet as well and as a developer what I am really looking for is a different resolution. I don't know about ellesteele's boyfriend...

5. lizard

lizard New Member

The galaxy tab has resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels, at 7 inches it has a pixel density of 169ppi.

Galaxy S is 226ppi. Dell Streak is 186ppi.

The iPad by comparison has a large 9.7-inch display, with a lower pixel density of 132ppi.

6. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

At the low-end, there's a Walgreen's $130 tablet and CyberMonday $20 off coupons out there.

At the medium-end, if he's a real hacker he would love a color Nook for $250. It's a terrific Android tablet (among other things) and the XDA folks are hacking it as we speak.
    [Q] Nook Color? - Page 50 - xda-developers

7. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab. [​IMG]