• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP! firmware upgrade to ICS vis KIES - over 45 mins and still 0%

royal23

Jun 8, 2010
help!

I'm performing an upgrade to ICS with KIES.

Everything looked OK when it started. But now it's been at 0% for over 45 mins already!

see image here
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/firmwareupgrade.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

my provider is T-Mobile UK. ICS was avaiable in KIES and i simply followed the instructions.

on my phone it just says "downloading... Do not turn off target !!" and it shows the green android bot..

in KIES it shows what you can see in the screenshot above.

how long is this supposed to take?!
should the 0% not go up to, well, more than 0% after a while?

when the update started it mentioned 15-30mins...

i'm confused, and what can i do?

oh shit now i'm screwed!
i was too tired of waiting, so i unplugged the cable and removed the battery.

now the phone won't start, just showing a picture:
phone on the left with dotted line to a computer icon and a yellow warning sign...

on KIES it told me that something went wrong (obviously!) and i need to perform an emergency recovery :(

so i connected the cable and clicked start and now it's doing this, but also not moving the % bar at all, aaaaaaaaah

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HELP what's going on?!
how can i just get everything back to normal?
why is nothing happening??

Upvote 0
i was able to fix it - surprised nobody gave an answer, but that's OK :)

hopefully this helps others to avoid this problem:
the usb port was the problem!

so even though this is a brand new laptop, not all usb ports are equal.
apparently i plugged the phone into a port that was, well, too slow, or not good enough.
anyways, after lots and lots of failed attempts, i just tried the method of connecting the phone to a separate port and voia la, it worked!

the "recovery" actually put ICS on the phone and it's all working fine.

Upvote 0
i was able to fix it - surprised nobody gave an answer, but that's OK :)

hopefully this helps others to avoid this problem:
the usb port was the problem!

so even though this is a brand new laptop, not all usb ports are equal.
apparently i plugged the phone into a port that was, well, too slow, or not good enough.
anyways, after lots and lots of failed attempts, i just tried the method of connecting the phone to a separate port and voia la, it worked!

the "recovery" actually put ICS on the phone and it's all working fine.

Very interesting.. I have read this in a couple of more places.. Let me try this out and see if this works for me or not.

Thanks once again!

Upvote 0
i had my phone come with ics already installed and its full of bugs, hd games wont play, even bbc iplayer wont play with any flash player, tried to update with keis and that just says that i have the latest version, is there any way i can get kies to reflash it again, i saw keis emergency recovery, would that work does anyone no plz

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones