• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help flashing new ROM

Mugs

Jun 4, 2010
I have Myn's RLS3, and will be flashing RLS4

Couple questions.....

1) Instead of using ROM manager/clockwork(?), how can I wipe the cache/dalvik manually? What exactly do I need to do?

2) When I flashed RLS3, I followed the steps in the thread "Rooting for dummies." All went well, except I had to completely set everything back up. Is there a 'magic' button I can push that will restore all my settings after flashing Myn's RLS4?

1. Power the phone off. Once off power back on holding the volume down button and the power button
Once hboot loads use the volume down key to highlight recovery. Press the power key to select recovery. Once recovery loads navigate to wipe. Select wipe. Then wipe data/factory reset, then wipe cache. Now in order to wipe dalvik you need to select advanced then wipe dalvik. Once everything is wiped go back to the main screen in recovery. Then select install zip from SD card. Select the zip and let it do its thing. Once its done select reboot and bam you manually loaded your first rom. And remembrance volume up and down to navigate and power to select.

2. Yes you need to back everything up and start from scratch unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Excellent! I appreciate the response!

So when I backup using Titanium (i guess I don't know exactly what I am backing up), what is this good for? Just if things go wrong I have something to fall back on? And what is a nand backup? Did I automatically do this using the ROM manager and not know it?

Is it better to do this manually like it's explained above, rather than using ROM manager to wipe everything?

Upvote 0
I personally don't like or use rom manager. I like to know that everything is being done correctly. Now in order to do a nand back up, load into recovery and select back up or nandroid or nand (I use amon RA so I'm not sure what term clock work uses for backing up but it should be one of those. ) so once you select it again let it do its thing and it may take a few minutes. Once its done you can wipe and flash your new rom.

Upvote 0
Excellent! I appreciate the response!

So when I backup using Titanium (i guess I don't know exactly what I am backing up), what is this good for? Just if things go wrong I have something to fall back on? And what is a nand backup? Did I automatically do this using the ROM manager and not know it?

Is it better to do this manually like it's explained above, rather than using ROM manager to wipe everything?

Do a batch backup on all of your data and apps. Then feel free to wipe EVERYTHING on your phone. When you get everything loaded back up, (re)download Titanium Backup and do a Batch restore of all data and apps. Once you do that, reboot(hot restart is fine)...and BAMMMM....your phone is EXACTLY how it was before you started...home pages and all.

PS.....Batch backup/restore is on the PRO version only....6 bucks. Obviously well worth it as much as everybody lives in fear of wiping their phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones