• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help for a Newbie

daveymoll

Lurker
Jan 4, 2012
Hi to all

I have just got the new HTC sensation XE and was using the HTC desire, what I need help on is how to transfer the information from the desire. I need to transfer text messages, contacts and my pics which is on the micro storage card. Can anyone advise best way to do this

davey

Are both devices rooted?

If not:

1. Are the contacts saved on phone as phone contacts, or as Google contacts? If they are saved as Google Contacts, once you log in to your new phone using the same Gmail account, the new phone will automatically download them.

2. For messages, get SMS Backup and Restore from Market, make a backup on the SD card. When you transfer the SD card to the new phone, restore the backup file using the same app.

3. For the pictures, if you will be using the same SD card, there would be no problem.

Upvote 0
Are both devices rooted?

If not:

1. Are the contacts saved on phone as phone contacts, or as Google contacts? If they are saved as Google Contacts, once you log in to your new phone using the same Gmail account, the new phone will automatically download them.

2. For messages, get SMS Backup and Restore from Market, make a backup on the SD card. When you transfer the SD card to the new phone, restore the backup file using the same app.

3. For the pictures, if you will be using the same SD card, there would be no problem.

Thanks for the reply, im probaly going to confuse things further, but will try and answer above. If ive added a contact directly to the phone i have saved to the phone and not sim card. I use outlook and have a gmail account and have noticed the phone updates automatically if i add anything to outlook. Unfortunately i have had to reset my gmail password today and cant find how to update the gmail password on the phone as it now wont sync, due to the change of password. Du you know where to change the password in the phone for the gmail.

Unfortunately I have no idea if the phones are rooted ? all ive done with the new phone is charged the bateery not even switched on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones