Help for initial email setup please

Last Updated:

1. Langy

Langy Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Over the last few days I seemed to have climbed an amazing learning curve. Although IT literate I knew nothing about phones (had a nokia brick before). So I have an updated Modaco image and unlocked and rooted ex T-Mobile G2 Touch (Hero) phone on a rolling 30 day Vodafone contract.

So before I start adding apps and syncing email I would really appreciate your preferred ways for setting up email. I currently have a GoDaddy email with my own domain name. It's nice to have a personal domain name, but I'm flexible should I need to convert all to a new email using googlemail. I now have one as I needed access to the Android Market.

So 2 questions...
    Is it better in the long run to simply go all out google and change my email address so i can sync everything on my Hero, or do I follow godaddy's instructions to set up my godaddy domain's email on the Hero using godaddy POP?

Second question...
    I had a crap Nokia brick with lots of phone numbers and more importantly address information on the sim card. The sim card has been trasnferred into the Hero. Thing is I see the names and numbers but not the addresses and stuff. Any ideas?

So to sum up ; you now know where my data is stored, but what is the best syncing operation for me in my situation?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. michael_84

michael_84 Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    Did you backup your applications on the Hero before switching ROM images? If so you should be able to use HTC mail to access pop mail.

As for you second question am sure only name and telephone numbers can be stored on the SIM so for the address info I would say that was located on the phone, a workaround to this would to make your contacts Google contacts, unfortunately you cannot upgrade an existing contact to a Google contact..

However you can link your Google account with the sync function and then enter all your contacts through Gmail's contacts section which will be faster to enter at least, also when you upgrade your ROM all your contacts will sync back to the phone :)

Good luck :)

3. Langy

Langy Member This Topic's Starter

thanks michael for a quick reply. I think I'd like to keep the domain name email rather than changing email addresses. so I guess I'll need to look into setting up that on the Hero and hoping I can sync OK. Do I lose out if I dont use Google mail as my preferred app?

I'll check the old phone to see if I can see the address info on the phone and maybe try and bluetooth it over.