• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help for Old Codger

Hello, I bought a new S3 just before Christmas and almost immediately got the new download to version Jam Roly Poly or whatever it's called. I've been trawling sites just to boost my knowledge of the phone and have noticed people talking about things I can't find in the new version.
Firstly there is no where to turn the 'quick camera' on. (where you touch the screen and turn phone and camera turns on). I've looked in 'Lock screen' and 'motion' and it's not there. I've just watched a video that tells me to go to 'Security' then 'Lock screen options'. There is no 'Lock Screen Options' in there.
Secondly people talk about a 'news ticker' but I can't find that either.
Would I be right in thinking they were in the older version but not the new one. Many thanks.

Your are running Android 4.3 "Jelly Bean," most of these features need to be turned on in the settings, then the "my device" tab, there you should find the lock screen options as well as motion. Motion needs to be turned on for the camera feature you're describing to work. After you enable the motion, go to your camera and it should prompt you about the "quick camera." I personally don't use the motion features of the phone. You mentioned the ticker this was available on Android 4.2.3 after the upgrade to 4.3 the ticker is no longer available, now you have the option to add widgets to your lock screen instead.

Upvote 0
Motion needs to be turned on for the camera feature you're describing to work. After you enable the motion, go to your camera and it should prompt you about the "quick camera."
I believe you should checkmark or tick mark the Motion option then go to the Camera for the Quick Camera option.

I don't have this phone so I'm just going by what he posted.

Upvote 0
It can be done but only with lock screen set to swipe

You get to choose which icons that you want on the lock screen

If don't want to do the swipe screen you can also put the camera icon at the bottom next to the app drawer
Tap drag and drop on your main screen
htttp://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57581650-285/set-up-quick-access-to-the-galaxy-s3-or-note-2-camera/

Reactions: sheriffjoe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones