help for rookie

Last Updated:

1. joedel

joedel Member This Topic's Starter

I have the leaked 2.3.9 non root version on my droid x and want to update to the official ota update then root my phone. Before someone says use the search feature i have already done this but i can not understand all the technical terms can someone please tell me in the simplest way how to do this?

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

few things here....imo you are better off staying on the leaks but upgrading to the newest leak .15 which is virtually identical to the ota. The ota isnt a whole lot better and you MAY loose the ability to downgrade your bootloader and thus no custom roms, kernels in the future.

If youre set on going to the ota, you have to flash the sbf file, which should be available at rootzwiki under the gift. you ll need to install rsd lite 4.7 and then flash the sbf. If you've never sbfed before its kind of a pain and much easier to stay on the leaks which easy to find in here.

3. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

I agree to stay with the leaks. I too am running 2.3.9 but I have it rooted and running fly x. I have no desire for the ota. I'm considering getting the latest leak but I don't see a point because my phone is running fine. And I don't know of any improvements upgrading.

4. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

I agree with them both... if you decide to go ahead with upgrading I can talk you through sbf'ing to 2.1 so you can recieve the OTA update. Its kinda easy once you get it set up.

5. joedel

joedel Member This Topic's Starter

thanks guys i think i will take your advice and stay with the leak. it is running fine for me, so i guess if it's not broke don't fix it

6. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

I think that's a good call. Then if something comes along for the old bootloader then you're in position to take advantage of it.