Help! Found screencaps when uploading photos.General

Last Updated:

1. Hileaux

Hileaux New Member

I am not a regular user or lurker of the android forums but I noticed something odd and didn't know where else to go.

I plugged in my HTC Incredible and after uploading my photos I noticed a LOT of screencaps saved to my phone.

I don't know how they got there, how they were taken or saved, what program would take it or how to keep it from happening anymore.

Can anyone help me?

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

Can you be more specific? If they look like screencaps of places you've browsed to or associated with your social networking - that's a "feature" of HTC Sense so that you can have a visual history of things and places. The phone comes pre-loaded with a few so that the features can be demo'd by simply pulling up the widget. (Browser bookmarks and history are the prime example.) So far as I recall, that can be turned off by going into various settings or by erasing stuff on your SD card (I'll have to go back and check that - I got rid of the worst of that 6 months ago, so my memory's rusty.)

If they're completely foreign to you, please clarify if by upload you meant to your PC or to an external website.
  3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Yeah, HTC decided that their stock browser would periodically take images of the websites you visited for faster loading when you revisit the site. It is not really considered a security risk because they would be deleted if you do a factory reset. The only work around for it is to just use another browser from the market and you can delete the folder that you saw the screencaps in. It will automatically be recreated when you use the stock browser again.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I believe the folder it creates is called thumbnails on your SD card. When I have my Inc mounted every once and a while I delete them as they pile up quite quickly
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's created on the sd card, sometimes on the internal storage, I've had it on both.