HELP! Froyd update fine, Radio update not!

Last Updated:

1. sid378

sid378 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As title says, today i updated my GSM hero with Froydvillain 1.5, hours of playing around, installing a kernel (All well and good) i decide to install the latest radio update, as the one i had was ancient

Followed instructions to the letter, waited until Formatting Cache was complete (left the room and was gone for 5 minutes, looked at it for a bit longer and no status bar, assume it completed)

Reboot phone and now it's just sitting on the 'HERO' part of startup, what do i do ?

I had an urge to pull the battery, but i'm not sure if it's 'okay' at this point, since instructions specifically said NOT to.

Help? :(

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Five minutes is more than enough time for the cache formatting, as it's practically instantaneous. If it didn't eventually boot after your post, pull the battery for a couple of minutes then try again - chances are it will boot fine. I get this occasionally after using the recovery (Amon_RA 1.7.0.1) and removing the battery/rebooting always works.

3. sid378

This can be closed, or stickied.. had trouble finding anything with my specific issue, but yeah the problem wasn't at the cache formatting step, since i read somewhere it's near instant (Has a status bar that quickly dissapears)

Problem was it was stuck on the Hero boot-up part, after about an hour i pulled the battery (despite what was warned) and tried again, it got as far as the Quitly Hopeless (Froydvillain) and hung there for ages... then it shut off, no lights, no response, no nothing, even pulled the battery and tried again!

Turns out it had been lingering on the first hero boot-up screen for so long it drained the battery :O

In short, all is well and good now.. with the sole exception of mms not correctly working for me.

Thanks for your reply though :)

4. Slug

Cool Sid, thanks for the update.

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

The 'do not pull the battery' warnings are only for flashes that go as planned.

If your phone hangs permanently, like yours did, sometimes it's all you can do. Good call on waiting for an hour though :)

6. sid378

That's what i thought too, couldn't get any 'reactions' from the phone any other way, so no matter what that's the only thing i could do.. atleast this will hopefully serve as a heads-up for others :p

My thoughts as to why it hung was probably battery-related.. when i finally had it booting past the HERO part, it just shut off in the middle of the 'Quietly Hopeless' part, heh.

Also who the hell would pull the battery when flashing.. you get all the info on screen, with the exception of the reboot into recovery mode halfway when you see the phone out of box icon, that's a few seconds of panic :D

7. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Really? I'd always figured that building the dalvik cache was a pretty time+cpu intensive process. Whenever i download+install an app, the install part takes a noticable amount of time (typically around 10-20 seconds), and impacts the performance of any other app that's running. If it's not building the dalvik cache that takes the time, what is it?

My hero always takes a LOOOONG time (well over 5 minutes) to boot the first time after updating a radio or a kernel. I'd always figured that was due to having to rebuild the dalvik code for every app.

Actually, on a fairly related topic: i've been wondering - is the Froyo JIT compiler actually a JIT compiler, or does it compile into native code once at installation? It seems crazy to use JIT compilation on an installed app... :confused:

8. Slug

Oh it is, but I don't think that's what is done during the "formatting cache..." part of a radio flash. This occurs in the recovery menu remember?

9. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah, got my wires crossed there :eek: