• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! GPS stopped working!

derps

Lurker
Mar 29, 2015
GPS stopped working!
(unending "Finding Location" prompt since Android 5.0.1)

Shortly after getting the Android update my GPS stopped working all together. I have tried everything i could think of. Uninstalled all recent apps, hard reboot, GPS testing app, full phone diagnostic apps, finally COMPLETE phone wipe re-installing everything. Nothing has worked! I am desperate. I use GPS all the time, not a single app, nor the phone itself can get the GPS to get a location fix. No matter what i do, the phone eternally says "Finding Location" for every single GPS using app, diagnostics or otherwise.

It is just a stock Verizon HTC One M8. A brand spanking new one, never dropped, stock verizon/android OS, like literally pristine new! Since the phone is not rooted i have no real way of rolling back to an older Android version correct? I noticed there was only one other post with the same exact symptons posted about 3 months ago that went without any answer/responses since. So... am i SOL? I tried initiating Verizon support on Twitter, but they think its a specific app problem... *sigh*

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(the above was also posted on the Verizon forums)

Yes. I took all those steps. I am using that exact app. Unfortunately the GPS icon continues to just say Finding Location without ever getting a fix for that GPS app or any other.

I have device only for location settings as well to make sure other apps don't get location by WiFi. Thanks for your reaponse though.

Upvote 0
OK, next - nuplayer.

If you opened developer options before, they're still open.

If not, Settings > About > Software information > More, where you tap Build number 7 times, it'll let you know.

Settings, Developer options, uncheck nuplayer, restart phone.

I've read all sorts of stuff about that from it being harmless to it stealing children but I haven't read of anyone liking it. It's supposed to help with html streaming and be unnoticeable otherwise but lots are reporting it's not like that.

So, nuplayer off, reboot, try again.

And when you said hard reset - you meant volume up and power until phone reset, yes?

Upvote 0
Oh btw, this is a new phone through the HTC screen replacement program, perhaps it is also "refurbished"?
Yes, hard reset was the power button + volume up.

I just tried disabling nuplayer, bad news. GPS still exhibits same behavior. Cleared internal GPS dats, redownloaded AGPS, still no dice. It is looking more and more like i may be better off getting another phone. This will make my 3rd HTC in 3 months. Ugh!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm at a loss. :(

Don't worry, I appreciate all your help! Some updates:

I have now been trying to troubleshoot across 3 forums, Verizon support, Android support and now finally back with HTC.

It is looking more and more like hardware is faulty. The phone is a refurb issued by the HTC advantage program and apparently during phone teardown it is easy to bend/damage the GPS contacts. Heads up to HTC owners they do NOT replace with new phones and they do not freely advertise this fact. If I had known I would have just bought a whole new phone.

Anyway, cheers.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones