1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Help! Have sound and cant make it a notification sound.....?

1. appleflake

appleflake Member

Hi......

I'm sorry in advance that this may be a simple question but I cant figure it out!!!

Someone sent me a file through bluetooth, and its a short snippit of a song. He sent it to me and I found it on my phone under "downloads".

For whatever reason I can copy it - but cant paste it under the "notifications" folder.

I would like to make this my notification tone for text messages etc.

Please help me figure out how to do it!!!

Thank you !

Advertisement
    :
  2. appleflake

appleflake Member

Oh - and I have a motorola atrix if that helps?!?!
  3. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

Try going to settings>sounds settings>the notifications. Mine gives me two options music and android system depending on what you choose. It should then display all audio files on your phone/SD card

I made 5 ring tones and uploaded them to a site then downloaded them. It also put them in downloads but when I did what I mentioned above it brought up all the ringtones.
  4. appleflake

appleflake Member

Ok - I went to settings then sound .....

Then the only thing I find under the title heading ringtone and notifications is "phone ringtone" and "default notification." If I click on "default notification" it only gives me the ones on the phone that the phone originally came with if that makes sense? ......???
  5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Are you trying to copy and paste it using a File Manager on your phone or on your computer?

If both and it still doesn't work then can you copy the file and paste it to the "Notifications" folder?

Are you able to connect your phone to your computer and move a file to the "Notifications" folder? If so then might be worth trying to move the file to your computer and back again.

Also, doesn't it have to go in the Media > audio > ringtones folder?

I don't have mine in there so can't remember where the official place is.

These are the first things I'd try, if none of this works then let us know and we'll try and figure it out :)
    SirSpace likes this.
  6. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

That's wierd cause all I had to do was put them on my phone and the phone did the rest. Try putting the files in your ringtone directory cause that's where I moved mine and it found them.
  7. appleflake

appleflake Member

Ok - I am unable to use my computer at all- long story, but its not an option... :(

OK - I can't seem to paste it to the notifications folder. I can "copy" it but then when I go to the notifications folder, it doesnt give me an option to paste anywhere and when I long hold it - it does nothing.

I looked also in Media > audio >ringtones and it is not there......

I'm so sorry to be so bothersome - I'm at my wits end haha!
  8. gibbs1984

It's no worries at all, it's what we're here for, we'll get to the bottom of it soon :)

What File Manager are you using? Try using ES Explorer.

What file type is it too?
    EarlyMon likes this.
  9. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Have you tried downloading Ringtone Maker, this app will locate all music files on your device, allow you to edit a ringtone, or just make the hole sound file the ringtone, then automatically put it in your notifications file.

Hope this helps :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  10. appleflake

appleflake Member

OMG!!!!! Ok - I just downloaded ES Explorer and was able to copy and paste it to my notifications folder yay!!!...You ARE AWESOME! :)

But......now how do I actually MAKE that my notification for when someone texts me etc.?

How do I assign it to a person, etc. for texts, or facebook alert etc?
  11. appleflake

appleflake Member

Ok I downloaded this too - and I do see the file there, but now I dont know how to make it into a notification....????:confused:
  12. gibbs1984

It should save it in the right place so you can select it as a ring tone.

I use Mxyer which let's you select it straight away as a ring tone.
  13. appleflake

appleflake Member

I'm so sorry to be such a pain!!!

I dont want it as a ringtone, I want it as a notification - but I cant figure out how to do that.

When I go to settings, sound, it only allows me to pick the "default" notifications......ack.

Sorry.....
  14. gibbs1984

PM to remind me as I'm out at the moment and I'll help you tomorrow.

Stop apologising too we're here to help :)
  15. gibbs1984

OK, I have my custom notification in /sdcard/media/audio/notifications and I then go to Settings > Sound > Notification Sound and it's in there to select.

I have HTC One X and I'm using Sense which I think they have changed the settings round a bit so I don't know if it's the same for you.

I did have to restart to make the notification appear in the list though, have you tried restarting?

Can you confirm this is where you're going to select the notification?

EDIT: Also, make sure your phone isn't connected to your computer as a mounted device because they your phone won't see your SD Card and you won't see the tone in the list.
  16. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

I could change ringtones buy for some reason text and app notification sounds are locked to the limited options available. Perhaps that's a limit of android gingerbread? I never could change the text sounds even when rooted. Heck I'd have used a star trek sound by now if I could
  17. gibbs1984

I'm pretty sure you can change the notification sounds on Gingerbread, don't think I ever did though...

Might be a limitation of a Motorola phone but I doubt it. Are you rooted cause if you are then you could put the file in the default notification folder where all the default ones are stored?
  18. appleflake

appleflake Member

Ok I have it in notifications, but I have no idea how to actually make it my notification sound....!!!

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm sure I will figure this out soon!
  19. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Notifications are set on an app by app basis. Go to whichever apps (eg., Message, Email, Google+, Facebook) and then in the settings of those apps, you can choose which notification to use.
  20. alexasthoma

alexasthoma Member

That's wierd cause all I had to do was put them on my phone and the phone did the rest.[​IMG]
  21. niteNarmor

niteNarmor Well-Known Member Contributor

Or go to about phone/settings/sound/notification ringtone and set to the notification you desire. Of course, if the above did not work.
  22. nickdalzell

That settings method is where I am locked to the selections that come with android (beatbox, dear deer, etc) but my personally downloaded alerts never show even when in the same folder, which since I use only 2.3 gingerbread, leads me to assume its a limit of GB itself. App selection does nothing for text alerts or the alerts for low battery, wifi network status and so on. So sure, you can choose a specific sound you download for apps like Facebook, but not sms texts or phone specific alerts except ringtones
  23. niteNarmor

niteNarmor Well-Known Member Contributor

First thing first, have you looked in your download folder and moved them to the right location?

For me since I flash Roms all the time, to keep the ones I download I put them in /system/media/audio/ringtone or notification.

For them to appear in list, I have to reboot.
  24. nickdalzell

Yes, that is the place I store Em, and they work if you select them inside apps like Facebook or Gmail. But making them alerts for text messages, phone-specific notification alerts (low battery, wifi status, etc) can't be done, even after a reboot. Only those locked selections show. No custom or other choice. I am rooted too
  25. Prepaidguy9081

Prepaidguy9081 Well-Known Member

Ive run 6 diffrent roms that are all gingerbread on the samsung precedent. On my sd card. A folder called ringtones. A folder called notifications. And then reboot. Then they show up everywhere from the system to apps