HELP !! Having problems with Windows 7

Last Updated:

1. mark1252003

mark1252003 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, ive recently got windows 7 on my laptop, thing is iam having trouble connecing my HTC Hero to the net, I use the mobile network sharing etc and installed the driver "Remote NDIS based device" I can only connect if I uninstall the driver than re-install which is somert I dont want to constantly do! Any ideas anyone??

Regards

Mark

Advertisement
  2. Hellwÿck

Hellwÿck Well-Known Member

Use XP

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Are you connecting the Hero to the same USB port on the PC each time?

4. MisterTea

MisterTea Active Member

5. ripkord

ripkord Well-Known Member

[quote="Hellw

6. Slug

I believe the OP wishes to use his laptop via the mobile network.

@Mark1252003: I've just tried it here by plugging the Hero into the PC and enabling "Mobile network sharing". I instantly got the "Mobile network sharing enabled" notification and the "USB and Sync disabled" warning. Checking Device Manager showed an incorrectly-installed "Android Phone" so I'm assuming that the relevant driver hasn't installed automatically.

I don't want to risk messing up the existing network config on this system, but when I get time (maybe Boxing Day) I'll throw Win7 onto my own laptop and see if I have any more luck.

7. mark1252003

mark1252003 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

cheers slug, I did too have the "Android Phone" driver installed in device manager , everytime i connect to the net i get two local network area connections, one is the htc internet, the other is saying its a unidentified network ,both on lan2. If i uninstall the driver from device manager (Android NDIS remote based device) ,then do a hardware scan it detects the android phone then reinstalls the NDIS driver (automatically) then only the htc netword is detected not the unidentified one I can log onto the net and surf away!. :confused:

8. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

On the Home screen, press "menu", settings,applications,development and tick USB debugging. That worked for me when Windows 7 didn't recognise my Hero...

9. Slug

Mark,

Just so you know, I haven't forgotten! Got tied up with other things yesterday but am going to have a poke about with my laptop now.

Latest update:
    What a nightmare! Bloomin' 32-bit Win7 disk is corrupt and wouldn't allow installation, and the CPU isn't 64-bit compatible so the known-good disk wasn't an option. Eventually got it installed from the second copy made with ImageBurn (#1 showed similar symptoms to the original) mid-evening but was too emotionally-drained to do anything with it. Tomorrow, I promise....

10. Slug

Windows 7 32-bit installed on ancient Fujitsu-Siemens laptop with latest patches/hotfixes. It's slower than a crippled snail but it runs, and at least the ethernet adapter is recognised so I've got a LAN connection to my router. No wi-fi, sound or graphics drivers though..... :(

Anyway, I installed the latest (v2.0.8) HTC Sync and amazingly it worked without errors. The Vista_x86 drivers were copied correctly and on connecting the handset via USB the Sync Manager opened and recognised the handset. So far so good....

Then I rebooted the laptop with the LAN disconnected, hooked up the handset and enabled "Mobile network sharing". The "Android Devices" entry in Device Manager disappeared, to be replaced by an "Unknown Device". I updated the driver software for this by choosing the /HTC Drivers/Vista_x86 location and the device was identified as "HTC Remote NDIS based device". I was then asked to identify the network and the connection became available.

I've disconnected the handset and rebooted the laptop several times, and every time I re-enable "Mobile network sharing" the NDIS driver loads correctly. This is using a bog-standard mini-USB cable supplied with a Nokia N95 connected to the same USB port on the laptop each time.