• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! How can I restore fastboot? (BRICKED?)

cmglng

Dec 8, 2014
Hi. I tried restoring the download mode on my L70. I got a bootloop problem that's why I tried to revert to stock ROM. The custom ROMs I've tried to flash doesn't boot (Stuck on LG logo when trying to reboot to system). I can't pinpoint the cause of the problem but I have recently updated to cm13 09/06/16. Then I rebooted the phone, but it got stuck on the boot animation. So I tried to restore a backup, that's when the bootloop started, I tried clean installs of multiple versions of cm13 still stuck on logo. So I tried to restore download mode using laf recovery tool. But when I try to boot to download it's just stuck on the LOADING DOWNLOAD MODE screen, press volume up until download mode appears. I have recovered from 2 bricks before by reverting to stock rom.

So the question is how can I get fastboot back? Or is there any other way to flash the laf(download mode)? All I have is working ADB on TWRP recovery. Please help!

Well if you still got ADB and root, you can manually do what the laf script does automatically. Like using dd to erase the laf partition. Which should enable fastboot. Or using adb push and dd to restore the default download mode. Just take a look at the laf script. But don't mess up the dd commands or you pay the price...

Upvote 0
Well if you still got ADB and root, you can manually do what the laf script does automatically. Like using dd to erase the laf partition. Which should enable fastboot. Or using adb push and dd to restore the default download mode. Just take a look at the laf script. But don't mess up the dd commands or you pay the price...
I don't have root anymore. All I can access is adb on recovery, that doesn't have root.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it's best to try to fix the original problem of not being able to boot after flashing. Since you still have recovery working.
I would start to double check yourself to see if you have done all the steps correctly. All the basic things (all i know). Like download the correct file. Make sure it's not corrupt. Have a good twrp version. Wipe the data and cache/dalvik. Flash the correct file. Giving it enough time to reboot, build cache. All that stuff. It's amazing what can go wrong with the basics. E.g. using a recovery img as the laf etc. ;)

Upvote 0
Perhaps it's best to try to fix the original problem of not being able to boot after flashing. Since you still have recovery working.
I would start to double check yourself to see if you have done all the steps correctly. All the basic things (all i know). Like download the correct file. Make sure it's not corrupt. Have a good twrp version. Wipe the data and cache/dalvik. Flash the correct file. Giving it enough time to reboot, build cache. All that stuff. It's amazing what can go wrong with the basics. E.g. using a recovery img as the laf etc. ;)
I'm pretty sure I'm doing the correct way to flash with wipe and everything.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I'm doing the correct way to flash with wipe and everything.

And i'm pretty sure you made a mistake somewhere. You already found one mistake. Eliminate them all and you will succeed.

If I flashed a recovery file on the laf instead of the original download mode, does that mean my bootloader is still unlocked?

Laf and aboot are different partitions.

That thread is about "Manually enable adb debugging from recovery"...?

Upvote 0
Cool trick, never heard of it :)
And i'm pretty sure you made a mistake somewhere. You already found one mistake. Eliminate them all and you will succeed.

Laf and aboot are different partitions.

That thread is about "Manually enable adb debugging from recovery"...?
I got adb shell with root working again with that guide from the xda. So I managed to restore fastboot mode using adb in recovery. But I f***** up and got impatient. It got stuck on 3% while flashing stock rom so I unplugged it -_- wrong move really. Now I have to restore my phone using the guide involving linux. Now it just boots on to the purple screen. -_- with ram dump error/secure boot error.

Upvote 0
@Mystery_Flasher
@d320hax

Update: I successfully flashed stock ROM. Device is working again. But still CM13 ROMs are not working. It still has bootloop problems. This is my 2nd try today, 2nd time I flashed the stocked rom too. I already unlocked the bootloader, installed patched aboot and the latest available TWRP. I've been flashing on this device since the CM11 days, pretty sure I'm doing the correct way to flash.

Upvote 0
@Mystery_Flasher
@d320hax

Update: I successfully flashed stock ROM. Device is working again. But still CM13 ROMs are not working. It still has bootloop problems. This is my 2nd try today, 2nd time I flashed the stocked rom too. I already unlocked the bootloader, installed patched aboot and the latest available TWRP. I've been flashing on this device since the CM11 days, pretty sure I'm doing the correct way to flash.

Have you ever repartitioned your internal memory with a script or a flashable tool?
This bootloop might be caused by flashing CM13 on a system partition that is smaller than 1100 MB.
Also, try flashing CM13 without Gapps and see if it boots up normally. Then, reboot your phone and flash gapps.
I hope that you've chosen a correct Gapps package? OpenGapps for ARM - Android 6 - pico version are recommended.

Upvote 0
Have you ever repartitioned your internal memory with a script or a flashable tool?
This bootloop might be caused by flashing CM13 on a system partition that is smaller than 1100 MB.
Also, try flashing CM13 without Gapps and see if it boots up normally. Then, reboot your phone and flash gapps.
I hope that you've chosen a correct Gapps package? OpenGapps for ARM - Android 6 - pico version are recommended.
On my first attempt (after the brick) I changed the partition, the one for MM and used pico gapps. Same thing even without gapps.

So I flashed the stock rom again and continued with unlocking bl, flash recovery, etc, and kept the stock partition sizes, still getting bootloops. This is frustrating. -_-

What is the latest cm13 version that you flashed on your device that is working?

Anyway the problem started when I updated to 09/06 from 8/06. It booted. (I saw the new optimizing app screen, cards have been removed). Then I continued to flash other zips, xposed, supersu, and my own debloater zip. When I reboot the system, it was just stuck on the bootanimation, wipe cache and dalivik didn't fix it. So I restored my backup of 08/06 CM13. That's when the bootloop started. Even clean installs doesn't work, so none of the other zips i mentioned. above caused the problem. Then, just like I said after flashing kdz TWICE I still got the bootloop problem.

Upvote 0
On my first attempt (after the brick) I changed the partition, the one for MM and used pico gapps. Same thing even without gapps.

So I flashed the stock rom again and continued with unlocking bl, flash recovery, etc, and kept the stock partition sizes, still getting bootloops. This is frustrating. -_-

What is the latest cm13 version that you flashed on your device that is working?

Anyway the problem started when I updated to 09/06 from 8/06. It booted. (I saw the new optimizing app screen, cards have been removed). Then I continued to flash other zips, xposed, supersu, and my own debloater zip. When I reboot the system, it was just stuck on the bootanimation, wipe cache and dalivik didn't fix it. So I restored my backup of 08/06 CM13. That's when the bootloop started. Even clean installs doesn't work, so none of the other zips i mentioned. above caused the problem. Then, just like I said after flashing kdz TWICE I still got the bootloop problem.

I use the very latest nightly available without problems. Maybe your SD card is corrupted? Have you tried to flash CM13 from a different SD card?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones