1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help, how do I keep program I don't use out of memory

Last Updated:

1. SarahMN

SarahMN New Member This Topic's Starter

I used advance task killer and check frequently to see which programs are running in the background, frequently there are a number of programs I never use running in the background. How do I keep these programs from loading?

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

You don't really.

The OS is designed to handle all of that for you. Some of those apps are updating or pulling data, others are apart of the OS running and others are sitting there waiting to be opened. The OS will shut down those apps when it need more ram. Using an app like ATK is only going to burn down your battery as you turn the phone on to check and see what is running, then kill the apps that are running and they start up again on their own anyway. My advice is to uninstall ATK and let the OS do its job. This will also cure your ATK OCD. ;)

3. SarahMN

I uninstalled ATK, and today my phone ran through the battery in 8 hours. Coincidence? I want to uninstall MediaHub and Amazon Mp3 extra, can I do this?

4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

There are certain apps, installed by the carrier, that can't be removed without rooting the phone. You just named two of them.

As far as battery life goes, turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and perhaps GPS when you're not using them. I say perhaps for GPS because some say it doesn't use much power at all when an app isn't using it.

Consider screen brightness/timeout as well, and keep these things to an acceptable minimum for general use.

5. SarahMN

Does anyone use Tasker to save battery life? What Profile have your developed?

6. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

What exactly are MediaHub and Amazon Mp3 doing that you don't want them to do? Which program would you like to occupy the memory that they are using?