1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Help!! How to put music on ex-sd cardSupport

1. Uli_cardenas

Uli_cardenas New Member

I wanted to move my music from internal memory (sdcard) and place it in external memory (sdcard-ext) to free up space (just incase) and when I ran the app to listen to music it told me can't read media file.
    Can anyone help me out....
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

It is a bug with the system.... I found it too.. The SDCARD folder is what used to be external, but with the BIONIC the use the SDCARD folder for internal memory & SDCARD-EXT folder for the sd card. Problem is most software looks to the SDCARD folder for external... Hopefully the app developers will come out with some updates soon. I copied my card to data to the internal memory (SDCARD folder) there is 8 GB of space on it.
  3. Uli_cardenas

Uli_cardenas New Member

Thanks for the info,
    So if this is a BUG - why has Motorola has given the ability to go as high as 32G if the ext sd card is not accessible for the purpose of storage and seen by the Phone.
  4. x026092

Let me requalify my answer, it is not a bug, but a change in the folder structure... The App developers have to adjust, since they hard code the SDCARD folder in the app. I'm sure they will soon.
    Uli_cardenas likes this.
  5. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Well-Known Member

I am not having any issues with the music app finding my music on SDCard-ext.
    That holds true for both the stock app and the honeycomb version as well.
    You might try going into settings and delete data on the music app and see if it will 'find' your music.
  6. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

Also, check Settings > Storage > Storage location > set to Sd Card. All my music is on the sdcard-ext (microsd) and it plays just fine.
  7. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Well-Known Member

If you put your phone into Mass Storage Mode, you can just copy and past from one drive to another.

The stock Music app recognizes both locations. I have music on the external.

However, for things like Google Music, the locations are hard coded, so all of my cached music is still on the internal memory, which is a bummer.
    yewslus likes this.
  8. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member

What music app are you using?
    I'm using astro player and it can find my music on the sdcard ext
  9. Uli_cardenas

Uli_cardenas New Member

Thank you all for your help...
    With the post help I was able to get music on the ext-sd card.
    In Mass Storage Mode I made a folder named music. Copyied music files from my computer to it - and it did see them.
    Thanks again all !!!!
  10. x026092

Yes, I found the stock music player & Filer will find the external drive, but ES File Manager & Cubed (3) music palyer do not. I am sure the developers will have a patch in the works once they are aware of the issue. Until then we have 7 GB of internal storeage for data use. I'm fine for now.
  11. megaera

megaera Well-Known Member

Just in case you moved the music file completely from SD to the SD-ext and are still having problems. Make sure you go into Settings>Applications>All>Music and select "Wipe Data."