• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP! HTC Shift v.s. the rest

opulybbob

Lurker
Aug 3, 2011
So I'm a newbie to the Android os, and last week I upgraded from the ancient, and now obsolete palm pre, and bought the Samsung Nexus S..

There is nothing wrong with the way this phone operates in anyway, I'm having a hard time getting used to the touch screen typing and I am ALWAYS texting. The touch screen is super sensitive and I am constantly making typo's and I

So I'm a newbie to the Android os, and last week I upgraded from the ancient, and now obsolete palm pre, and bought the Samsung Nexus S..

There is nothing wrong with the way this phone operates in anyway, I'm having a hard time getting used to the touch screen typing and I am ALWAYS texting. The touch screen is super sensitive and I am constantly making typo's and I

Upvote 0
It would be helpful if you told us the reasons the couple of people had for telling you to stay away from the Shift!

The Shift does have an LED that reminds you of unseen notifications (email. text, etc.)

It has a slide out keyboard that is pretty good.

Thanks for the response.
my brother works for sprint and isn't crazy about the keyboard, especially if I'm going to be putting a case on it.. the other reasons would be the slower processor then the newer phones, and the fact that it doesn't have a front facing camera. I'm not into video chat right now but it is convenient for quick photos with friends .

Upvote 0
I've had the Shift since early April. It's not quite as fast as the Nexus S, but not a slug like the Hero was. I like the keyboard better than my wife's Epic. My only complaint is position of the volume toggle, but I've learned how to hold the phone so I don't hit nearly as often.

For someone who wants a qwerty keyboard, I'd recommend it.

Reactions: opulybbob
Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.
my brother works for sprint and isn't crazy about the keyboard, especially if I'm going to be putting a case on it.. the other reasons would be the slower processor then the newer phones, and the fact that it doesn't have a front facing camera. I'm not into video chat right now but it is convenient for quick photos with friends .

I do not know the name of the case that I have on my phone; I purchased it the same day at the Sprint store when I got the phone. I haven't had any issues with it interfering with the keyboard while typing. The LEDs that light up when pressing the shift key or the function key aren't as visible when pressed because of the case, but it is not a deal breaker.

The lack of a front facing camera is also not a deal breaker. Video chat in my opinion is overrated. Having a view screen when taking personal photos is a luxury that i can also do without, especially since there are so many picture editing apps on the market to enhance and crop photos taken with my Parkinson's like grip.

I would highly recommend this phone to anyone i come in contact with. The reasons I didn't go with the EVO 3D is the price and the fact that 3D seems like a novelty that will soon wear off and not to mention it hurts my eyes after about 20 seconds of looking at a 3D image on it.

Reactions: opulybbob
Upvote 0
It does not have a "slow" processor. It may be rated lower than others, but it is very robust. I have never had an issue with gaming.

the shift is a beast. and the processor is anything but slow. even before i rooted/overclocked it, it ran with/out ran the best of em.
I just traded in the Shift for the EVO 3d, because I had an upgrade bc sprint messed up. I went to the shift from the Samsung Moment. I knew that I didn't need the keyboard, but chose the shift because of its nice size. Now I don't want a phone with a keyboard ever again. I can type so fast using swiftkey keyboard app in portrait or landscape. It has assume word prediction and before that I used swipe. My daughter chose the shift because she won't let the keyboard thing go...I get it.
People at Sprint say it is "slow" because it is 800MHZ, but they don't realize that it is a Snapdragon 2 and performs/benchmarks as well as the long time flagship Evo 4g which is 1000MHZ snapdragon 2. Also, the shift has assume battery life compared to my moment, wife's evo and the hero, because of the processor. The physical keyboard works well. I miss my shift at times over this last week. I would highly recommend it. I was going to get the nexus s. for a 4in screen it is big and I hate the button lineup...messes me up.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones