• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! I can't get my phone to boot! tried some things but still won't boot

congaman59

Jan 29, 2011
near ATL
My Phone sprint S3 SPH-L710 is rooted with a stock4.1.2 rom. I was going to put my phone in recovery to do a backup because I wanted to flash ND8 then a new Kit Kat rom. The phone wouldn't boot to recovery. I read something about using Kies if this happens. I updated Kies and connected the phone to it. Now it boots to the "Samsung" on the screen and goes to small windows with "unfortunately the process.com.android.phone has stopped" when I hit OK it says ".process.acore has stopped". It goes in to some more windows sometimes. I was advised to try this: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1840030. I didn't get the first bootloader to "pass" but somehow after I flashed it, I was able to boot in to download mode. I tried to flash the second bootlader again and it kept failing I tried the second bootloader and it wouldn't even show up in the PDA line in Odin. I really need to get my phone working again as it's my only one I have and I'm traveling either later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
If its virgin mobile flash the ndc tar and it should fix your phone
I have sprint. A fellow on another forum suggested I do this: You can fix it, but you're going to lose all your data. Go to SamMobile Firmwares and download the ROM for your version of the S3 (right country, right carrier). Follow the instructions at [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. (It's not difficult, it's boring.)
The only problem is the phone is in a loop I can't get in to the recovery mode or download mode. to make matters worse I can't get the usb driver to work because I can't get in toe set the phone in to debug.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think those bootloaders are for Verizon aren't they? Either way just flashing bootloaders without knowing why, usually leads to hard brick. What made you suspect you needed to flash a bootloader?
And if you wanted to flash nd8 to use other KitKat roms, why not just flash the whole nd8 .tar in odin? I'm not sure I understand what you were doing.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I think those bootloaders are for Verizon aren't they? Either way just flashing bootloaders without knowing why, usually leads to hard brick. What made you suspect you needed to flash a bootloader?
And if you wanted to flash nd8 to use other KitKat roms, why not just flash the whole nd8 .tar in odin? I'm not sure I understand what you were doing.
This is what I was trying to do:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1840030

Upvote 0
This is what I was trying to do. I kept getting fails loading the bootloaders. Now I am trying this unless I can get something else to work. Now I am looking at this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2369125&page=1

Upvote 0
Just reading through this thread here...... @congaman59 , are you at the point now where you cannot get into download mode?
I think at this point, with all the stuff you tried, we need to get the device into download mode. (so you can install the file from Sammobile via ODIN).
You can install the drivers on your computer (if not already there via Kies) from elsewhere.

So am I correct in my thinking that the device cannot get into download mode? (not to mention recovery, or even booting up).

Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is what I'm trying to do: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1840030 but the bootloaders never would load. I am thinking about trying this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2369125&page=1 unless someone can tell be something better to try.

Upvote 0
Just reading through this thread here...... @congaman59 , are you at the point now where you cannot get into download mode?
I think at this point, with all the stuff you tried, we need to get the device into download mode. (so you can install the file from Sammobile via ODIN).
You can install the drivers on your computer (if not already there via Kies) from elsewhere.

So am I correct in my thinking that the device cannot get into download mode? (not to mention recovery, or even booting up).
I can only get in to download mode It boots directly in to download mode. but when I try to flash a bootloader in odin it fails every time.

Upvote 0
Are you getting into download mode via the link at XDA method, or are you getting into download mode with the 3 button combo?
I originally i couldn't get to download mode or recovery mode I flashed something in Kies and now phone will boot to download mode with the 3 button push. If I let it just boot up I get "unfortunantly SAE has stopped", "Unfortunantly the process com.android has stopped". These are in the front of the screen and in the background it says "system UDI's inconsistant" and some more writing and as the bottom is says "OK and then under that is says I'm feeling lucky".

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I originally i couldn't get to download mode or recovery mode I flashed something in Kies and now phone will boot to download mode with the 3 button push. If I let it just boot up I get "unfortunantly SAE has stopped", "Unfortunantly the process com.android has stopped". These are in the front of the screen and in the background it says "system UDI's inconsistant" and some more writing and as the bottom is says "OK and then under that is says I'm feeling lucky".
oh wow, that's odd indeed :eek:
I know I'm going a little slow here, but the file you are flashing via ODIN.....is it from Sammobile.com?

Upvote 0
Ah, ok...yeah, as @Madbat inquired, those files linked there are for Verizon (unless you found the Sprint files to use with that guide).
Anyhoo, go back to the Sammobile site, find your carrier's firmware, flash it via odin...Yes it will unroot you but at least you'll have a functioning device. (not sure about re-rooting on the current firmware that you flash, but at least flash the firmware that you currently were on, or newer)

Fwiw, Kies and Odin don't play well together, so either disable, or uninstall Kies but leave the drivers.
Run ODIN as admin.

Upvote 0
Ah, ok...yeah, as @Madbat inquired, those files linked there are for Verizon (unless you found the Sprint files to use with that guide).
Anyhoo, go back to the Sammobile site, find your carrier's firmware, flash it via odin...Yes it will unroot you but at least you'll have a functioning device. (not sure about re-rooting on the current firmware that you flash, but at least flash the firmware that you currently were on, or newer)

Fwiw, Kies and Odin don't play well together, so either disable, or uninstall Kies but leave the drivers.
Run ODIN as admin.
Okay I'll try that. Thanks! Are you going to be around a while in case I hit a bump?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll be on for about another 45 minutes or so:)
I'll try to help in case something goes wonky...I'm no expert..it's been a while since messing with ODIN on my S3 ;)
I tried the firmware in Kies but it encountered an issue and didn't install. However I did not get a recovery code. I couldn't try the emergency firmware recovery because you have to have a code. someone said online you have to download a copy of Kies 2 for this to work I tried that and the software wants the serial # of the phone, which I don't have and can't get because the phone won't boot.
I am really stuck and I need to fix my phone today befor I leave to go back home to Atlanta.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried the firmware in Kies but it encountered an issue and didn't install. However I did not get a recovery code. I couldn't try the emergency firmware recovery because you have to have a code. someone said online you have to download a copy of Kies 2 for this to work I tried that and the software wants the serial # of the phone, which I don't have and can't get because the phone won't boot.
I am really stuck and I need to fix my phone today befor I leave to go back home to Atlanta.
I might be wrong but the serial number is under the battery.

Upvote 0
I might be wrong but the serial number is under the battery.
Okay I did this I got a pass but now the phone boots to the black screen with SAMSUNG in white on the screen and then the blue swirly thing then the white and yellow sprint logo and then back to the black screen with SAMSUNG in white and that's it. Either that or download mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones