• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "HELP" I have been assimialated

mbancroft

Android Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2011
yo
Started out just to stop paying for cox internet and sprint data plan. two days later and my phone has become an adiction. I am playing with "setcpu" and can not find any thread on how to create a plain text file on the root directory on my SD. I have astro and started to create a zip file but thought i shoud get some feed back first being that i'm new to this

There are a lot of ways to do this. I don't use Astro, but I know this can be done with Estrongs file explorer, for example. Open it, then menu->new->File. Just call it whatever you want, and it will automatically be a text file. When you tap on it, you'll have the option of editing it as a text file. I'm guessing the same can be done in Astro somehow, but it's easy in ES. Another option is to make your text file on your computer, then just copy it to your card. Depending on how much text you're typing, that might be easier. Just a quick warning on that, though, I recommend you use something like textpad (google it) rather than notepad. Notepad will put in junk characters that Android (linux) won't be able to understand. Depending on what this text file is for, it might cause problems.

That being said, are you trying to make a text file for use with setcpu? There are only a couple of reasons for doing this. Are you sure you need to?

Reactions: mbancroft
Upvote 0
There are a lot of ways to do this. I don't use Astro, but I know this can be done with Estrongs file explorer, for example. Open it, then menu->new->File. Just call it whatever you want, and it will automatically be a text file. When you tap on it, you'll have the option of editing it as a text file. I'm guessing the same can be done in Astro somehow, but it's easy in ES. Another option is to make your text file on your computer, then just copy it to your card. Depending on how much text you're typing, that might be easier. Just a quick warning on that, though, I recommend you use something like textpad (google it) rather than notepad. Notepad will put in junk characters that Android (linux) won't be able to understand. Depending on what this text file is for, it might cause problems.

That being said, are you trying to make a text file for use with setcpu? There are only a couple of reasons for doing this. Are you sure you need to?

In.the guide for setcpu app it says to create a list of supported frequencys

Upvote 0
You don't need to do that. When you open setcpu, you have the option to autodetect speeds, which will pick the defaults for your current kernel. You can then chose what frequency you want for the min/max based on what was detected. You shouldn't need to make a text file with the frequency set (though you *can*). It's more of an advanced feature that nobody uses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones