HELP: I think my Android is infectedSupport

1. HardcoreAK

HardcoreAK Member

Hello, I am learning about my phone, and trying to figure out what is going on. A couple of times, it has done something very odd. I have two yahoo email accounts, opened in the the "yahoo inc" email app, and leave it open most times.

On Feb 5th 5:45 my time, my one yahoo account mailed out two separate spam type emails to a separate one of each of my contacts in the To; line, and added all of my contacts into the Bcc line. They were emails that even look like spam saying "Hey have you heard?" and "Yoyoyo...check this out" as subject lines, and then tried to refer the recipients to a link where they could get acai berry pills, or whatever. The reason I think it is my Android, is because:
    1) this has happened twice that I know of, now about a month or so ago. 2) It only happened when my phone is the only thing with access to my email.
    3) The emails are in my "sent folder"
    4) My other yahoo account was "online" in the app, but not "open" like this one.

I have had AVG installed and always comes out clean, I scanned my PC, worried it might have given the worm to my phone, but nothing was found. I have done a factory reset twice, (once last time) and now again. I have reinstalled my apps.

I thought yahoo had its Norton system tied into it, but my phone never says a word about scanning attachments....

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
    :
  2. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I would imagine a factory reset would eliminate any worms on your phone. The fact that this happened to you twice even with factory reset makes me think it might be something else. Have you tried changing your Yahoo mail account password? I don't if that will help, but it's worth a shot.

If in fact the emails were sent from your phone, I think the better question to ask is how you got infected in the first place? They things just don't install themselves. Can you recall clicking on a suspicious link, or download a file that you're not sure of?

Worms are hard to get rid of. You may have to just delete you account and start a new one.
  3. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Personally I think your main Yahoo account has been compromised. I would advice changing your Yahoo password. I don't think its the phone.
  4. HardcoreAK

HardcoreAK Member

I will be changing my password...

My phone has been laggy. I barely run any apps, no music, nothing. Made me think something is wrong, like a virus does on a pc. I did the factory reset, and its still laggy. I think I had a message open before that I didn't want opened, and wasn't even trying to open it, but as the touch pad display makes huge errors when it lags, i think it may have caused this. Same as when i push the h and I get a &, as if I held the h down..... or I get three spaces when I space once. seemed like things are wrong. Like Right now, its four or more letters behind my pecking of keys. Very frustrating. Now the spam emails, if my account was spoofed, then the messages would not be in my sent folder?? If I been hacked, then they are logging in as me with my password, and sending, so that's why I have the emails in my sent folder?? Same as basically having ! worm.
    When I searched worms, I read about one that only sends itself out on a certain day... like my deal seems to be. Thanks !gain (see what I mean?) With the a turning into !...
  5. Remove your Yahoo accounts from the phone, change both their passwords and try adding them again is all I can suggest.

If that doesn't work a factory reset may do the trick. :(