• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help. I'm in some deep shit.

I installed aHome and set it as default home but anytime I try going to the Home screen it says 'ahome has crashed...blah blah blah' and my only option is to 'Force close'

Now I cannot use ANYTHING in my phone.

I mainly need help with how to make the normal home the default home without doing anything, or any alternates to uninstall aHome. Help please.

Hey Behold the Power dude / dudette!!

Hmm i think on that specific device you take out the battery....

put battery back in.......

then press (ALL AT THE SAME TIME) "Call" "Enter" and "Hang Up" buttons dude...hope it goes well that will do hard reset.. i think.

Upvote 0
Hey Behold the Power dude / dudette!!

Hmm i think on that specific device you take out the battery....

put battery back in.......

then press (ALL AT THE SAME TIME) "Call" "Enter" and "Hang Up" buttons dude...hope it goes well that will do hard reset.. i think.

just to clarify on this, that's not a "hard reset" that's a "factory reset" as in wipe EVERYTHING from the phone. a "hard reset" is when the phone is frozen and can't be shut down from within the program. it's more or less taking the battery out for about 30 seconds, reinstalling and rebooting. but i also think your method would be correct for this particular problem. also i mean no disrespect to the person who posted this.

Upvote 0
just to clarify on this, that's not a "hard reset" that's a "factory reset" as in wipe EVERYTHING from the phone. a "hard reset" is when the phone is frozen and can't be shut down from within the program. it's more or less taking the battery out for about 30 seconds, reinstalling and rebooting. but i also think your method would be correct for this particular problem. also i mean no disrespect to the person who posted this.

errr...no!

Hard reset/boot = factory data reset
Soft reset/boot = reboot i.e. pull battery or long press power button and choose power off from the menu.

Upvote 0
dear pastafarian:

Hard reboot
A hard reboot (also known as a cold reboot, cold boot or cold start) is when power to a computer is cycled (turned off and then on) or a special reset signal to the processor is triggered. This restarts the computer without first performing any shut-down procedure. (With many operating systems, especially those using disk caches, after a hard reboot the filesystem may be in an "unclean" state, and an automatic scan of on-disk filesystem structures will be done before normal operation can begin.) It may be caused by power failure, be done by accident, or be done deliberately as a last resort to forcibly retrieve the system from instances of a system freeze, critical error or virus-inflicted DoS attack. It can also be used by intruders to access cryptographic keys from RAM, in which case it is called a cold boot attack.[19] The attack relies on the data remanence property of DRAM and SRAM to retrieve memory contents which remain readable in the seconds to minutes after power has been removed.[19]
Soft reboot
A soft reboot (also known as a warm reboot) is restarting a computer under software control, without removing power or (directly) triggering a reset line. It usually, though not always, refers to an orderly shutdown and restarting of the machine.
The Control-Alt-Delete key combination on the original PC from Sphere 1 was designed to allow a soft reboot reducing wear on the hardware. This kind of reboot will not usually reset the hard disks, so that they have time to update their write cache to permanent storage. Hard disks will also keep their configuration (like C/H/S adjustments, HPA, DCO, internal passwords...) over these reboots.
The Linux kernel has optional support for the kexec system call, which transfers execution to a new kernel and skips hardware or firmware reboot. The entire process is done independent of the system firmware. Note that the kernel being executed does not have to be a Linux kernel.

copied and pasted from wikipedia. not so much an "i told you so" as it is to solve up a mystery for a reader who sees two exact opposite opinions. but at the end of the day, i told you so ;)

Upvote 0
dear pastafarian:

Hard reboot
A hard reboot (also known as a cold reboot, cold boot or cold start) is when power to a computer is cycled (turned off and then on) or a special reset signal to the processor is triggered. This restarts the computer without first performing any shut-down procedure. (With many operating systems, especially those using disk caches, after a hard reboot the filesystem may be in an "unclean" state, and an automatic scan of on-disk filesystem structures will be done before normal operation can begin.) It may be caused by power failure, be done by accident, or be done deliberately as a last resort to forcibly retrieve the system from instances of a system freeze, critical error or virus-inflicted DoS attack. It can also be used by intruders to access cryptographic keys from RAM, in which case it is called a cold boot attack.[19] The attack relies on the data remanence property of DRAM and SRAM to retrieve memory contents which remain readable in the seconds to minutes after power has been removed.[19]
Soft reboot
A soft reboot (also known as a warm reboot) is restarting a computer under software control, without removing power or (directly) triggering a reset line. It usually, though not always, refers to an orderly shutdown and restarting of the machine.
The Control-Alt-Delete key combination on the original PC from Sphere 1 was designed to allow a soft reboot reducing wear on the hardware. This kind of reboot will not usually reset the hard disks, so that they have time to update their write cache to permanent storage. Hard disks will also keep their configuration (like C/H/S adjustments, HPA, DCO, internal passwords...) over these reboots.
The Linux kernel has optional support for the kexec system call, which transfers execution to a new kernel and skips hardware or firmware reboot. The entire process is done independent of the system firmware. Note that the kernel being executed does not have to be a Linux kernel.

copied and pasted from wikipedia. not so much an "i told you so" as it is to solve up a mystery for a reader who sees two exact opposite opinions. but at the end of the day, i told you so ;)

Wow the guy (pastafarian) puts it in layman's terms(so the op can understand easier) and you go all wikipedia on him for doing so. Kinda' lame bro. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
ck4794,

You are thinking in terms of computers, we are talking in terms of Android phones.

There are many similarities between the two, however definitions to common knowledge terms such as "soft reset" and "hard reset" are different. Pastafarian is correct in this case, as his definitions to the terms are the accepted definitions within the Android community.

-Adrift

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones