• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help help in Galaxy S apps

Good Morning

I'm newbie with android systems and im new here in your website, i have Galaxy S4 and i want to ask the most popular application that i must have
also i want to ask how can i backup my contacts and save them to my email or in my PC.

thanx in advance

These is just personal preference:

Photo Editor - Pixlr Express
Very comprehensive photo editor, with lots of great features. Free

Browser - Chrome Beta
Love it for the cross OS sync. It shows you what tab are open in your chrome on desktop, laptop and tablets. Syncs bookmarks, passwords and comes with few nice features, which you can customize through settings.
Also comes with bandwidth management, which reduces your data usage by as much as 40% while surfing.

News and Blogs - Google Currents and Flipboard

Cloud storage - Google Drive and DropBox (your S4 comes with 50GB free storage for two years). Just log in to drop box and activate it. (dropbox should be already on your phone)

Backup - Helium
Great little backup, free. With the purchase of premium version, you gain couple of extra features. Great in restoring apps data to tablet or another phone. I use it to migrate everything from my S2 to S3, then S4 and Note 2. Works like charm.

Files Upload, Music Upload etc.. - AirDroid
Very nice and elegant air based app, which allow to mirror your phone with any device that has a browser. Explore the phone, upload and download content, sent SMS, install apps, and more.

NFC - NFC Task Launcher
Most comprehensive NFC programming app out there. Hands down.

Music identification - SoundHound
whether I'm in the car or restaurant, it helps me to identify what songs are playing, 8 out of 10 times :)

Keyboard - There is nothing wrong with Samsung Keyboard. But SwiftKey is by far best prediction keyboard right now. The latest app comes with free cloud service, so all your words in custom dictionary will be sync across your devices. Especially practical when migrating. Also it very quickly learn your writing style, to the level that it will predict pretty much whatever word comes next after the first letter your press. Also comes with swipe gesture so you can move across keys without lifting your finger, and it will figure out the words based on the combo you swiped across. Price $5

Custom Widgets - UCCW
Cool app for creating your custom widgets, from weather to displaying calendar entries, battery status and lots more. Bit scary at first, but once you figure out how to use it (we will be happy to assist if any problem), you will love it.

Launchers - to replace Samsung's touchwiz - my personal favorite will be Nova Launcher Prime. It comes with free version as well. Allow you to customize the icons, icon grid, transition, dock, notification bar, and lots more. Free version <--

and of course all the google apps, Goggles, Translate, Google Earth, Google Calendar, Play Music etc..

GPS - Waze. Better than Google Maps :)

Radio - TuneIn Radio - over 70.000 stations from every country around the world. Free.

Alarm Clock - Timely - lovely design. Nice features.

Then there will be facebook, instagram, Google Plus, Pintrest, Whatsapp (messaging app).

Calculator - Holo Calc. Nicer than stock, and comes with great dark theme.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's pretty much all I use daily.

Have fun :)

Upvote 0
Aix Weather Widget
It doesn't look too nice on the app's site, but you can customize all the colors and background or grid, to suit your screen design style. I cycle and do other outdoor activities, very accurate rain prediction widget.

AN ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE - DashClock Widget.
It's a lock screen widget, which comes with many free plugins, which can display weather, missed calls, next alarm or your detail battery statistics. This widget is the reason why I quickly moved from S3 to S4. I just needed 4.2.2. android to install it :)

I love photography, especially lapse photo. For that I use super cool app, call LapseIt Pro. There is a free version but with limited video size. Really neat and highly customizable app. LOVE IT.

Endomondo - sport app. Comes in two versions, free and pro. The free version is very comprehensive. Track your runs, walk, (and hundreds of other sport activities), calories count, all king of speed average stats, GPS trail, with fantastic web interface as well, so you can view your stats and tracks in your browser. So many features, I don't know where to start.

Dots - be warned! Addictive little game.

I race cars on weekend. In all my cars I have a little Bluetooth ODB2 dongle connected to my ODB2 port, which is connected to Torque app on my Note2. The app's site has really lousy screen shots. But the good thing is, you can design your own dials, use own font and design needles (color and length). You can record your race on video and have overlay of map with GPS location and overlay with your travel path, showing you every meter of your drive, fuel efficiency, g-force, turbo pressure, fuel consumption, engine temp, and hundreds of other engine readings. You can built your own display, whether you want dials, graphs just text columns, and fancy background. Multiple screens, each with different set of readers. Very highly customizable. A good dongle for the car to work with that app, will cost from 30 to 50$. If you into automotive sports, a MUST HAVE app.

Tasker - Huahuahuhahua (evil laugh).
I don't even know what to say. Tasker can control nuclear plant, and do more things than Nasa's computers. This is an app I use to turn my phone into super-mobile, and to sent my iphone using friend back to the stone-age, where iphone belongs.

Tasker automates your phone based on time, date, condition, state, location, battery level and accessory attached. I will give you an example. You can set a chain of actions based on location, so when I approach tall, it texts my wife that I'm on the way back. When I get to my car park, it will automatically off the Bluetooth, ON my wifi, check my mail for the last time, off the drive mode, stop playlist (synced with the car's audio), off the ringer (I don't pick up work calls at home), keep notification at 30% volume. Also, stop syncing mail and set a profile which will only allow certain people to message me. Anyone else will get auto reply, different reply based on date (Sunday or weekday), different based on time, morning, noon and night. The moment I leave home, beyond 300 meters, all the settings get reverted back.
And it can do so much more than that. There are many plugins which can push it even further than that, like AutoVoice, written by a friend of mine, Joao.
Check it out:

Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the essay. Couldn't help it :)

Reactions: shmn and Nokia N93
Upvote 0
Which dongle are you using? I didn't know these existed. I'm all over this.

Thanks for the great write-up...I found a number of gems based on your recommendations!

I buy my dongles on ebay:
ELM327 V1 5 OBD II OBD 2 Bluetooth Auto Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner USA | eBay

NOTE! please look for reliable seller, I only searched for the model number to demonstrate.

Some of the dongles suffer bad built quality (rare but might happen), and as you use it, the app will pause for a short moment. Which is the dongle's problem, not the app.
I have 5 units total. So far no problem whatsoever, but 2 out of 20 of my track friend complained about the pause problem.

Best part is, aside from all the functionality, that you can custom design the dials to suit your car theme. That, I just love so much. I used to have that kid of app on iphone (REV or something..), years ago. Cost me 50$ and could do only fraction of the Android app does.
Given I'm the only geek in our group, I'm the one been designing dials for GTR, Ferrari and Porsche, for all my friends, with a little custom name on top of each dial. I tell you, they all go nuts for it :)

It is so cool, when comes to automotive and android, I giggle with happiness when I write about it.

I know. I'm still looking for the right support group ;)

Reactions: shmn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones