• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! In need of stock 5.0 recovery in a flashable zip!

Macmaster

Jul 1, 2014
Hello there forums!
I am in the middle of an difficult predicament. I have recently broken the USB port on my 2013 Nexus 7, and I currently have it on 5.0. I would like to keep it as a non-rooted stock device, but I have TWRP installed. Since the USB is broken, I cannot use fastboot to flash the stock recovery image to the device. This complicates things, as the new updating system is different and it will not install anything if I have TWRP installed. If it was rooted, I would use Flashify to do it, but it's not.

Here is what I need help with: I want to put the latest stock recovery, from Google's images, on it, but I am not able. Is there anyone with the expertise to build a zip that has the recovery image in it, so that it would flash the recovery partition. I do not have any clue of how to do this, and I haven't found anything online about it. I know it can be done with some devices since I have zips with CWM.

If there is anyone who could do this, or could provide me with help on how to do this, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks in Advance!! ;)

Macmaster,

I might be able to help you out...but wanted to rule-out a real easy route for you, although I know it doesn't keep you non-rooted:

1. download the latest root package from Chainfire's site
2. flash the root package from TWRP
3. use my Root Toolkit for Android app (or Flashify, etc.) to flash the (desired) stock recovery

The above does leave you rooted, but with the desired stock recovery (and other options down the road).

I'm pretty sure you realize that flashing the stock recovery takes away your ability to root (at least via a custom recovery; not sure if any of the newer rooters like towelroot would root a 2nd gen (2013) N7).

~ ~ ~

If the above scenario is out of the question, I'd need to know for your exactly which N7 you and have version of Android you want the stock recovery to be:

1. Are you for sure a 2013 N7 (2nd gen)?

2. Is it the wi-fi (flo / razor) or 3G (deb / razorg) version? (I'm guessing / pretty sure you are a wi-fi N7 since there are no 5.x factory images for the 3G version)

3. Do you want 5.0, or 5.0.1, or the 5.0.2 stock recovery?

Let me know and I'll try to help :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Macmaster,

I might be able to help you out...but wanted to rule-out a real easy route for you, although I know it doesn't keep you non-rooted:

1. download the latest root package from Chainfire's site
2. flash the root package from TWRP
3. use my Root Toolkit for Android app (or Flashify, etc.) to flash the (desired) stock recovery

The above does leave you rooted, but with the desired stock recovery (and other options down the road).

I'm pretty sure you realize that flashing the stock recovery takes away your ability to root (at least via a custom recovery; not sure if any of the newer rooters like towelroot would root a 2nd gen (2013) N7).

~ ~ ~

If the above scenario is out of the question, I'd need to know for your exactly which N7 you and have version of Android you want the stock recovery to be:

2. Is it the wi-fi (flo / razor) or 3G (deb / razorg) version? (I'm guessing / pretty sure you are a wi-fi N7 since there are no 5.x factory images for the 3G version)

Thanks for the reply!
So if I did this, would it be able to install OTA updates?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply!
So if I did this, would it be able to install OTA updates?

Ah, I thought that might be one of the reasons you were asking what you did...

It all depends on what you did when you were rooted--i.e., what other changes besides installing a custom recovery did you do? (and how did you un-root (which I'm assuming you once were?)?)

Installing a stock recovery at this point kills your ability to fix pretty much anything system-related (i.e., since you no longer have the ability to flash a factory image, etc. due to your broken USB port).

You're in a tricky and precarious situation because you don't really want to introduce any new changes to your current Android system (i.e., re-rooting) yet you need to be able to fully identify what the OTA might not like when one arrives for you to install.

Have you recently received any OTA notifications?

Upvote 0
Ah, I thought that might be one of the reasons you were asking what you did...

It all depends on what you did when you were rooted--i.e., what other changes besides installing a custom recovery did you do? (and how did you un-root (which I'm assuming you once were?)?)

Installing a stock recovery at this point kills your ability to fix pretty much anything system-related (i.e., since you no longer have the ability to flash a factory image, etc. due to your broken USB port).

You're in a tricky and precarious situation because you don't really want to introduce any new changes to your current Android system (i.e., re-rooting) yet you need to be able to fully identify what the OTA might not like when one arrives for you to install.

Have you recently received any OTA notifications?
Just yesterday I downloaded a stock 5.0 rom from some forum, but I can't seem to find the link for it. It said it was unmodified.
And I have been getting the notifications for 5.0.2.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Just yesterday I downloaded a stock 5.0 rom from some forum. It said it was unmodified.
And I have been getting the notifications for 5.0.2.

Ah, that is helpful information!

So, you did install/flash that stock 5.0 ROM? If so, that should allay my fears about you having any other custom (i.e., non-stock) components other than the recovery on your N7.

If so, let me know / verify the answers to the questions I asked above in the bottom half of post #2 above and I'll build a flashable .zip file for you.

Upvote 0
Macmaster,

1. Yes
2. Flo (Wifi)
3. I guess 5.0 since that's what it will be updating from.

Thanks!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Okay, sorry for the delay--I re-downloaded the 5.0 factory image and re-extracted the stock recovery to make sure I had the right one.

Here's the n7-2013-flo-flash-5.0-stock-recovery.zip (attached) for you to flash.

Best of luck and I hope this does the trick for you!

:)

Attachments

• n7-2013-flo-flash-5.0-stock-recovery.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
Hmm The recovery installed, but when trying to install the update I get the android with red triangle and "Error!"

Did it tell you anything at the bottom of the screen (i.e., an error message from the OTA installation)?

(I'm worried / wondering if the "stock" ROM you flashed wasn't 100% stock... :()

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Ok, I found the page: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/recov...-nexus-5-nexus-7-2012-wifi-nexus-7-2013-wifi/

When I saw this, I thought thet were 99% stock.
guess I was wrong. :(

Eek! There's a block of text in there that says this:

The recovery flashable zip files for Android 5.0 Lollipop are fully compatible with MultiROM. The ROMs are mostly unmodified from stock factory images except for the modified kernel image which has root support injected. Meaning, you can just flash the SuperSU via recovery to get root.

So it sounds like you might still be rooted?

If so, you've still got options...

Edit: scratch that--I didn't read the "flash the SuperSU" part...

Reactions: Macmaster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones