Help installing ROM's

1. zkiki5

zkiki5 Member

If someone could help me out with a step by step on how to apply a ROM on my rooted venture I'm not 100% and I bricked my other phone before so I'm swallowing my pride. Help me!:confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Dracable

Dracable Well-Known Member Contributor

have u installed cmw recovery yet?
  3. sunsuke

sunsuke Well-Known Member

After installing cmw recovery,
    have the rom you want on your sd card of course made specifly for the phone
    then to boot into recovery while powering on the phone
    hold home and you should boot into recovery if you installed cmw
    after that if you don't feel confortable make a back up in the recovery
    after that do a wipe data/factory reset
    then wipe cache partition
    and then go to advance and do a wipe dalvik cache
    after that go back then click install zip from sd card
    then choose zip from sd card
    and locate the zip you downloaded
    and install that
    after everything is done
    you should reboot
    Note: if it takes more than 20 minutes reinstall the ROM or download a different one
    usually the first boot up take 10-15 minutes
    hope that helped message me if you need anything else :p
  4. zkiki5

zkiki5 Member

Ok and how would I go about getting the recovery? Install Cwm then?
  5. Dracable

there is a huge thread in All Things Root on cwm recovery. read through EVERY post in the thread before doing anything, and then go back and start from the beginning of the thread and work as u go. this will save a lot of frustration, as pretty much every question possible has been asked and answered in that thread. just make sure u understand what ur doing BEFORE u start. flashing roms is a whole other world from just rooting the phone, and a lot of noobs get tripped up on it. please, if u read thru the thread twice and still dont understand the process, ask questions before doing anything else. its easier to guide u thru flashing recovery than it is to guide u thru unbricking ur phone. ;-) good luck, and keep us updated! (link to recovery thread below)

[Recovery]{CWM} Virgin Mobile Venture 6.0.1.2 - Android Forums
  6. Jeni_James

Jeni_James Well-Known Member

If you're a newb & want an easy way to do this download & install "Recovery Flasher Utility" off the play store then download this, put it in the root folder of your SD & run the program, it'll do the rest. Then you follow these steps:

Have the rom you want (MUST be specific to your phone) on your sd card
    Boot into recovery (while powering on the phone hold Home)
    Make a back up in the recovery (if you want)
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Wipe dalvik cache (in Advanced)
    Go back and click 'install zip from sd card'
    Locate the zip you downloaded and install it
    Phone will reboot when finished...

Enjoy!
  7. borytineo

borytineo Well-Known Member

lost my boot menue
  8. borytineo

i got the files the app had me change the name then bam lost boot menue
  9. Dracable

when u say boot menu, are u talking about the recovery?
  10. Jeni_James

He has a bad recovery.img, the only fix is to reflash it. Im talking with him one-on-one for this so Ill see what I can do to help him. I was in the same boat & I solved it
  11. Dracable

ya, but he should be flashing from his pc via adb/fastboot. have picked apart the coding of that recovery flasher tool? do u know EXACTLY what the tool is doing? the recovery partition doesnt work the same on all phones.
  12. Jeni_James

Well, seeing as he didnt have access to a PC this was the best option & it worked!

SUCCESS!!!!
  13. Dracable

oh, no access to a pc? guess i missed that. glad it worked man.
  14. ww227

ww227 Member

Speaking of flashing, I'm still a little confused. I found these;
    boot.img data.yaffs2.img recovery.img
    cache.yaffs2.img nandroid.md5 system.yaffs2.img
    on my sdcard in the clockworkmod/backup/ directory. Now I'm assuming that I can use CWM to restore these if ever need be, but suppose CWM is broken. Could one of the other flashing methods that I hear talk about be used to restore my phone? or atleast flash the recovery.img so that I could use CWM to do the rest? And where is the best place to look for flashing tutorial? And specifically for the venture phone?
  15. Dracable

this is the whole reason i recommend learning how to use adb/fastboot... if u were to brick ur phone, u would not b able to use a flashing tool to unbrick. the only way to recover would be with fastboot. if you would like to PM me, i can help u learn everything u would need to know about recovery, adb/fastboot, flashing roms, etc... for the Venture! i can guide u step-by-step in a way that you would be able to easily learn and comprehend exactly what u are doing (and why). hope to hear from u!
  16. Jeni_James

OR, if ur having trouble flashing the recovery.img theres a handy tool I found that ANY idiot can use: Recovery Flasher Utility

I know Dracable likes to push adb/fastboot but Ive found RFU works 100%. I just helped borytineo fix his problem & he successfully flashed a rom :)

SO.... If u have access to a PC you can use ADB/Fastboot or if ur lazy like me u can use RFU (Its on the playstore, FREE)
  17. borytineo

It worked for me my first time too but when i get a new pc i will learn adb so i can help others as jeni james help me i thank all u guys for the work u guys put in on this anything i can help with ac home wiring pc boards cable tv lol
  18. Jeni_James

I'm glad I was able to help you - I had to figure it out myself (fixing recovery.img) but luckily I found that app cuz I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to lazy to learn ADB lol
  19. zkiki5

zkiki5 Member

Ok now im at a point where i wiped everything but it says E:signature verification failed.
    Installation aborted
  20. Dracable

in cwm recovery, in the menu where u select the "choose zip from sdcard", there is an option to toggle signature verification. select that, and reflash.
  21. Dracable

and which rom are u flashing? i thought all the roms in here were signed, which means that shouldnt come up.
  22. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Well-Known Member Contributor

same here. none should be reading a signature fail.
  23. varenHjames

varenHjames Well-Known Member

if i had to guess, he was attempting to install a rom which was not from this forum..and more then likely not for this phone I.E >> imminent brick!

do us all and yourself a favor and dl a copy of the stock rom to your sd card...just in case

http://androidforums.com/venture-all-things-root/632183-rom-stock-rom.html < here

i hope this link is still valid

and dangit jeni...stop promoting laziness!
    Dracable likes this.
  24. Dracable

jeni, not trying to attack u, but u need to understand WHY we cant promote laziness on dev'ing this phone. this phone is a cheap, throw away phone with low specs. none of the "big wigs" are interested dev'ing on this phone for that reason. when it comes to promoting a flasher tool to people to allow them to skip learning adb and fastboot, u could b making other people lazy too, which could make us lose out on someone who might have been a great contributor for us. this is my very first android phone. when i first got it, i knew NOTHING about the android platform. but hard work and determination got me to where i am now. i found our source and built our first stock kernel from source, and im prob gonna be developing our first OC kernel too. if u dont wanna learn adb and become a true developer and contributor, then so be it. but please dont promote an "easy way out" because u could be hurting the rest of our community. do u understand my point? and honestly, adb and fastboot are VERY easy to learn. there is NO reason not to.