• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help. Just wanna make sure I'm doing this right

I'm such an impatient person. I should have just waited for a fellow phandroid-er to be available to help me. Okay, so I went to sdx-developers and created a custom ROM. I don't like it. How can I get rid of this one and change it? Do i just pick another ROm or is there something I have to do first? Can anyone help? I just wann make sure I'm doing this correctly. Thanks a bunch!
D.M

Feel free to email me at dorkymama4u <at> gmail. Thanks

What options did you chose in the kitchen? Kernels can just be replaced overwriting the one thats already there (not sure if anyone has a download of the stock kernel available but the custom ones are better anyways.) Any stock apps/boot logos/animations that you replaced are backed up to the sdcard and its just a matter of copy/paste the files back to their original location (except for the stock apps which if you wanted to put back where they were would have to have root access, a shell terminal to remount the /system/app/ folder as rewritable and paste the apks there then run them with a file manager). My advice to you would be flash the stock de03 with custom recovery - Stock DE03 with recovery - via the sprint updater. This will return everything to stock and with the custom recovery already installed you can back /system and /data. This way if you flash something you dont like you can just restore the backups (/system will backup the stock apps /data is market apps, user settings, etc). The only exception here is the kernel but they are easy enough to replace. Hope this helps

P.S. - Just took a look over at the kitchen as i havent been there since they updated it last. It appears they have added options to replace some of the stock items back to the phone, just chose those you wish to restore and create the .zip.

Upvote 0
What options did you chose in the kitchen? Kernels can just be replaced overwriting the one thats already there (not sure if anyone has a download of the stock kernel available but the custom ones are better anyways.) Any stock apps/boot logos/animations that you replaced are backed up to the sdcard and its just a matter of copy/paste the files back to their original location (except for the stock apps which if you wanted to put back where they were would have to have root access, a shell terminal to remount the /system/app/ folder as rewritable and paste the apks there then run them with a file manager). My advice to you would be flash the stock de03 with custom recovery - Login - via the sprint updater. This will return everything to stock and with the custom recovery already installed you can back /system and /data. This way if you flash something you dont like you can just restore the backups (/system will backup the stock apps /data is market apps, user settings, etc). The only exception here is the kernel but they are easy enough to replace. Hope this helps

P.S. - Just took a look over at the kitchen as i havent been there since they updated it last. It appears they have added options to replace some of the stock items back to the phone, just chose those you wish to restore and create the .zip.

Okay, I think I undersatand. Then you lose me. Then you get me again! Lol. First, what is the kitchen? I went to the Rom Builder and pi8cked what all I wnted. I honestly like what I picked but it kills my battery life like nobody's business. I still had the old zip I had on my phone before the reboot the the new ROM. I deleted the ROM I want to get rid of and clicke to install the old one I still had left on my phone. But it didn't work. When I reboot, even though I have removed it from my SD card, it still reboots the one I wnt to get rid of. Now when you say sprint login, you mean to just update the phone back to it's original form (2.1 unpdate) and statr over from scratch rooting the phone and then try again or what? What is the kitchen, it sounds like ROM heaven when you described it the little that you did.

Upvote 0
You got it, the kitchen is the custom ROM generator. In order to 'delete' a rom you must either install another rom over top of it, possibly leaving anything that isnt explicitly overwritten by the new one or leaving modified files that may or may not interfere with the rom you are trying to install. To actually install the rom you must boot into recovery mode (power down the phone then press vol down+call+end until the logo appears) and chose apply update from sdcard then select the appropriate .zip file. This may explain why the rom you are trying to install isn't loading, because in fact, well you havent loaded it ;). Like i said i would suggest loading the stock 2.1 with recovery i linked to in my previous post (i fixed the label to make it more apparent) and make an immediate backup of atleast the data folder (this would be market apps, settings....stuff you add/change on the phone) as well as the system (this will backup the stock apps that roms may remove). This will give you a starting point to experiment with other roms, either from the kitchen or other peoples custom, or both) and in the case you dont like something you can just restore the data and/or system backups back to stock. Also this will allow you to most easily achieve root access by installing an update.zip without having to flash multiple files from the sprint update tool. Lastly, a kernel is the link between the user and operating system, i would highly recommend a custom kernel (the ones in the kitchen are solid, not to say others aren't, but i have personally tried most of them) as they are far superior to the stock kernel....most importantly they include root access :D. If you need help with the update tool just ask.

P.S. - As far as the battery life goes the most effective ways to increase it i have found are 1. turning off gps/wifi/sync/location when your not actively using them and 2. delete any stock apps that aren't necessary or that you dont use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones