Help loading this link - animated gif file - have flash working, what gives??Support

Last Updated:

1. haeffnkr

haeffnkr Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I want to be able to play this animated gif file on my captivate.

http://belo.bimedia.net/KMOV/weather/animated-loops/radar-adi.gif

I can load the file but it only shows the first image and will not show all the views, and most importantly not the last image.

This the site it is from -
    St. Louis News, Weather, Sports | KMOV.com | St. Louis Weather, News and More | St. Louis Radars

I have flash 10.1 installed and of the few site I have visited, like this one - 2Advanced v5 - Attractor - Flash content seems to work fine on Dolphin hd browser and the standard browser.

What gives?

thanks Kevin

Advertisement
  2. haeffnkr

3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Looks like the build in browser does not support animated gif. The images will load properly if you download it, but not in the browser. Try using another browser.

4. haeffnkr

I have Dolphin HD and the default browser, both the the same thing... will only show the first image of the gif file and not play it, or most importantly show the last.

And BTW - Dolphin HD is way better than the default browser and is very similar to the iphone browser with the refresh button at the address bar. I love that feature.

Ok, who can help me get this fixed? when is the next version of OS coming out?
    Will that fix it?

I can not find a package for this either?

thanks Kevin

5. jimmy_bish

jimmy_bish Member

I'm running the Froyo JPC rom. It's animated fine in the default browser. Looks like it's a limitation in 2.1 only.

Still no news on when the official Froyo build is released, but there are a few leaked ones out.

6. haeffnkr

Hello,
    From the link above on the google code page -

There is this workaround -

Comment 134 by cccandroid, Mar 29, 2010
    If you want to work around this with your own Android build, you'll need to modify C++ code, rebuild, and reflash your phone. You'll need to make two fixes to the released sources.1) edit the function should_use_animated_gif() in external/webkit/WebCore/platform/graphics/android/ImageSourceAndroid.cpp (around line 217). Return true to animate gifs. 2) Change setRGBA() in /WebCore/platform/image-decoders/ImageDecoder.h (around line 173) to call *dest = SkPackARGB32(a, r, g, b);instead of *dest = (a << 24 | r << 16 | g << 8 | b);With these changes, gifs will animated correctly on large memory devices like Droid and Nexus One.There's no code path for animating gifs in arbitrary applications like Gallery, except by rewriting it to host a WebView modded as described above.Who is smart enough to put this in a package? or is that not possible due to the extent of the code changes?thanks again Kevin

7. haeffnkr

Hello,
    From the link above on the google code page -

There is this workaround -

Comment 134 by cccandroid, Mar 29, 2010
    If you want to work around this with your own Android build, you'll need to modify C++ code, rebuild, and reflash your phone. You'll need to make two fixes to the released sources.
    1) edit the function should_use_animated_gif() in external/webkit/WebCore/platform/graphics/android/ImageSourceAndroid.cpp (around line 217). Return true to animate gifs.
    2) Change setRGBA() in /WebCore/platform/image-decoders/ImageDecoder.h (around line 173) to call *dest = SkPackARGB32(a, r, g, b);instead of *dest = (a << 24 | r << 16 | g << 8 | b);With these changes, gifs will animated correctly on large memory devices like Droid and Nexus One.
    There's no code path for animating gifs in arbitrary applications like Gallery, except by rewriting it to host a WebView modded as described above.

Sorry that did not copy correctly above

Can someone put this code in a package?

thanks Kevin