• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Lost my DSL, how can I use Hero as modem?

Vesbon

Apr 24, 2010
I called to cancel my LAN Line phone and forgot it's a needed for the DSL connection. Now I have no internet on my computer and I really need it for my job. How can use my Sprint hero as a modem? Is there a way to do this for free without rooting? Otherwise it's $15 per month. I'm getting U Verse soon, but not for 2 weeks and I need internet on my computer ASAP.

Thanks
V

you can only do .. usb connected tethering. If you Root then you can do wireless

1. if you have 2.1: you should be able to connect your usb to your laptop. A window will come up. Select to share your internet connect.

2. or you can try to use "PdaNet" app. It is free in the Market.

Upvote 0
I got this to work, and it's great! However, there were alot of warnings when I was installing it, both on my phone and on my computer.

Is pdanet safe to run? By "safe" I mean there isn't any way the data on my personal computer is going to get stolen, is there? I don't care about the phone, there's nothing on it right now.

I'm paranoid about my personal data on my computer. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks,
-v

Upvote 0
i use easytether, never tried PDAnet, and it works great for me.

i just downloaded the app, and in the app it tells you where to go to download the fle for your comp...actually i think it gives u a link that u can dl to your phone, then transfer it to ur comp via SD mount.

only thing i remember is having to turn on the USB debugging, sorry this is not a step by step description, but its pretty user firendly once you dl the app to your phone.

Reactions: wbruff
Upvote 0
My friend tried this and she could not get it to work, she kept getting the error 67 message, does anyone have a step by step to get tethering going for her

I've had the same issue when trying to tether. Where my computer did get all the drivers installed that allow for it, and my network software registered it being there; my phone kept giving me a Error Code 67, which if I'm not mistaken is either a Profile issue or a PRL issue. Is there a way around this error when tethering?

Upvote 0
If you are getting the Error 67 code it's because you are trying to use the native tethering that has been disabled. That option will NOT work for tethering. You will ALWAYS get the Error 67 code. You HAVE to use either PDAnet or EasyTether. If you root the phone, then you can use Wireless Tether as well.

She does not want to root, but is using one of those programs I believe, I thought she could still be able to tether, you are saying know??
that she can only do so if she is rooted??

Upvote 0

She does not want to root, but is using one of those programs I believe, I thought she could still be able to tether, you are saying know??
that she can only do so if she is rooted??

That's not what I'm saying. The 2 programs listed will not produce the Error 67 if used correctly whether you are rooted or not. If used incorrectly, then I cannot guarantee that they won't. However, trying to use the native tether in 2.1 will always produce that error, whether you are rooted or not. I was saying that if you want to use Wireless Tether, then you need to be Rooted. No Root is needed for PDAnet or EasyTether.

Upvote 0
That's not what I'm saying. The 2 programs listed will not produce the Error 67 if used correctly whether you are rooted or not. If used incorrectly, then I cannot guarantee that they won't. However, trying to use the native tether in 2.1 will always produce that error, whether you are rooted or not. I was saying that if you want to use Wireless Tether, then you need to be Rooted. No Root is needed for PDAnet or EasyTether.

OK I am sure she will respond back, we have a tropical depression here, so she maybe busy, but I am sure she will post what she did and her issue, thanks

Upvote 0
Sat down calmly and quietly today, determined to get the tethering sorted. It wasn't easy the other day when we really had NO internet and I was kind of panicking - couldn't get it to work (easytether), kept getting Error 67, but this is what I did.

1) download it from the marketplace onto my Hero and run the program - it gives you step by step instructions.

2) at the same time, I went to Download EasyTether drivers and downloaded the drivers to my computer, installed them, and rebooted

3) Made sure on my Hero I went to the Settings-Applications-Development and checked on the US Debugging

finished installation on my Hero, connected it to the computer, and in the icon on the system tray, clicked on the "connect using Android" and VOILA!

The speed wasn't bad at all actually - i was most impressed with how easily it ran. I don't know why I originally got the Error 67 messages, telling me I had the incorrect PCS Vision name or password incorrect, but perhaps my recent updating of profile and PRL fixed those?

Anyway - it's great stuff. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who helped!!!!!! You guys ROCK

Upvote 0
I tried to download both pdanet and easytethering from the phandroid app place, but they are not in MY marketplace on my phone. I have an HTC Aria on ATT. Have they disabled some of the apps in the app marketplace? When I scan the barcode then open the browser I get this message: pname: com.mstream.easytether_beta not in Android Market. Any help would be appreciated.
Cygnis1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones