• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help!! Major Issues with 32 gb SD Card & Titanium Backup

DodgerinNH

Apr 2, 2010
SE New Hampshire
Hello, let me give you some background:

I've been rooted for awhile, with no problems, but haven't run any custom ROMs yet, as I was out of space on my 16gb SD card. However, yesterday I finally got a new San Disk 32 gb SD card and last night copied about 18 gb worth of data over to the new card and it seemed to go smoothly. All the files showed up in Astro and I thought all was well. (This was the third 32 gb SD Card I'd gotten. The first two were off Ebay and obvious frauds, so I decided to go the more legitimate route on the third.)

I purchased Titanium Backup Pro version, and backed up all the apps with data, and ever since then things have gone really haywire:

#1) None of my music players detect my MP3s (Mixzing Pro; Winamp or the stock Music App) They either just continuously "scan" or say "No SD card"

#2) None of my notifications or ringtones work anymore. When I go to complete action using the "HTCRingtonePickerAct" (which used to always bring up the full list of files available, now it just says "select notification sound"

3) And even my internal phone storage is now effected, which would seemingly not have anything to with with a faulty SD card, as when I go into "Gallery" the error message is "No Photos or Video Found"

I want to reiterate that all of the above files, MP3s, photos, etc are still present and accessible on Astro, but for some reason the phone itself will not read anything.

Anyone who can give any kind of input is greatly appreciated. I anticipated potential problems when I flashed a ROM, but I never even made it there. This was just me doing my due diligence before I started, and now I'm in way worse shape than before.

Thanks

Are you sure your pics, movies etc are on the internal and not on the SD? Did you format the card prior to installing your previous data? If not I'd try either moving the files back off the new card or just wiping and formatting if you have the files already saved elsewhere. Then use a PC to format the card to Fat32...that is if it is showing up as a drive when connected in disk drive mode. It may not. In that event, plug into your PC, go to Clockwork and in the mounts menu, choose mount SD card then proceed to format the card. In Windows, find the drive that is the SD, right click and then do a full format to Fat32. If the internal is showing up as a separate drive (it should be), make sure not to confuse the two when formatting.

As for the ringtones, I may be misunderstanding but it seems like you may have been using an integrated app to select tones/notifications previously. If so I'm wondering if it was referencing an app folder on the SD card which isn't being seen under the current circumstances.

Reactions: DodgerinNH
Upvote 0
Are you sure your pics, movies etc are on the internal and not on the SD? Did you format the card prior to installing your previous data? If not I'd try either moving the files back off the new card or just wiping and formatting if you have the files already saved elsewhere. Then use a PC to format the card to Fat32...that is if it is showing up as a drive when connected in disk drive mode. It may not. In that event, plug into your PC, go to Clockwork and in the mounts menu, choose mount SD card then proceed to format the card. In Windows, find the drive that is the SD, right click and then do a full format to Fat32. If the internal is showing up as a separate drive (it should be), make sure not to confuse the two when formatting.

As for the ringtones, I may be misunderstanding but it seems like you may have been using an integrated app to select tones/notifications previously. If so I'm wondering if it was referencing an app folder on the SD card which isn't being seen under the current circumstances.
first off, thanks for answering.

You are totally correct in your prediction that I didn't format the SD card prior to doing all this. I was under the assumption (perhaps mistaken) that modern SD cards were ready to go out of the box, unlike say a floppy disk.

So I will go ahead and do all you suggest, but the internal storage issue is a little troubling.

I was thinking all this (mp3s & ringtones were both on the SD card) at the same time, up until I tried to open the photo gallery and was still getting no results. Because indeed my photos are on internal storage- in the dcim folder. And it still wasn't being read! Pretty mystifying to me. So I will re-format SD card and start over and let you know what happens.

I'm thinking, though, if I'm still having problems after that, to run a scan on the SD card to see if it is corrupted somehow, and worst-case scenario is to do a factory reset and hope the photo gallery problem goes away.

thanks again!!

Upvote 0
If you can see them in the DCIM folder while connected, why not copy the whole folder to the PC? Then at least you have them saved for sure. I'm not sure what else to suggest for that problem besides the factory reset you already mentioned. Its odd that you can see them with Astro but inaccessible with system apps.

So just to verify, the pics are located at /emmc/DCIM/100Media?

Upvote 0
I moved all the photos to the PC, and yes the photos were in the folder you cited.

And I did re-format SD card, but forgot to take the titanium backup folder out first (duh!)

And then I did the factory reset, and of course had to reload all my apps through Appbrain and then reconfigure them again (because I'd deleted my Titanium backup) but I'm very happy to report that everything is now A-OK. 32 Gb SD card is working fine thus far. Will run another Titanium backup as soon as I am sure everything is reconfigured as I had it before.

Lastly, I did have a Nandroid backup, but it totally slipped my mind. Will definitely be making another one before I finally take the plunge to flash my first ROM- probably this weekend. Wish me luck!

Thanks, you're the man!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones