• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me choose a phone

sneeze18

Lurker
Jan 8, 2011
hey guys, I'm thinking of joining the smartphone (Android) scene and need help picking the right phone.

So far I'm thinking to either get the Vibrant or Nexus S. I know this is a Vibrant forum, so i want to ask can someone compare the two and tell me why I should get the Vibrant over the nexus s or any other phone i should consider?

I'll very much appreciate it! Thanks!

Well they are both great phones. Remember that the vibrant is still on 2.1 and the nexus s has 2.3 and will prob get all the other updates quickly because it is a Google phone like the nexus 1. I love my vibrant but I would love to get the nexus s because of the webcame and the firmware updates. But like the person said on top.. if you can why not wait for the dual core phone..

Upvote 0
honestly knowing what I now know about samsung and this update crapola...

I'd buy a HTC ! I just saw on the web that tmobile/htc is about to release 2.2 for the freaking mt3g slide! that will mean 2 old tmobile htc phones will have gotten 2.2 before the vibrant!

and also considering how someone at tmobile brain farted on the ffc and removed it from the vibrant...doh! I hope they fired that fool cuz now every phone and pad has one!

/me runs off screaming!

sigh

:(

Upvote 0
Why not wait for a dual core phone instead. You will be dissapointed if you dont wait. You have to see the dual cores in action. Ohh dont forget how great samsung is on updates......

While Samsung isn't great on updates, because it's a Nexus phone it leads me to believe it will be very well supported just like the Nexus One was. Since the Nexus seems to be "the" Google phone and they want to stand behind it much more than any other phone.

Other than that, the Vibrant vs Nexus S is almost the same thing hardware wise, the Nexus comes with 2.3 and the Vibrant is stuck on 2.1 and rumored to get 2.2.

Personally, the updates aren't that big of a deal to me, I would just wait for a dual-core phone to come out.

Upvote 0
While Samsung isn't great on updates, because it's a Nexus phone it leads me to believe it will be very well supported just like the Nexus One was. Since the Nexus seems to be "the" Google phone and they want to stand behind it much more than any other phone.

Other than that, the Vibrant vs Nexus S is almost the same thing hardware wise, the Nexus comes with 2.3 and the Vibrant is stuck on 2.1 and rumored to get 2.2.

Personally, the updates aren't that big of a deal to me, I would just wait for a dual-core phone to come out.

I just hate samsung with a passion . I was one of the early adapters on the samsung behold 2 . After samsung lied to many of us with what the behold 2 could not do( 2.1 on samsung now possible with Eugene rom ) . It angers me that they are still pulling the strings on its customers like puppets. I will not buy another samsung product and have told my friends and acquaintances to do the same.

I could have bought the nexus s but why do i want to support samsung.

When and if htc gets the nexus 3 out i will be more than happy to fork my hard earn cash .

call it what you want but i rather support a company that supports its customers .

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get the Vibrant. I just received my THIRD warranty replacement in 6 months. The replacement still freezes up/ screws up. The GPS is crap most of the time... I am just sick of this phone. I'm seriously considering telling TMobile to replace this phone with something else or I'm walking. I don't think I'll get another Samsung phone.

Upvote 0
With a custom rom the Vibrant starts to see it's full potential. The gps is still crap (are there still people here debating that, lol). I've personally lost a lot of faith with Samsung after the Galaxy S debacle, and for that reason alone I can't in good faith recommend this phone to anyone.

Upvote 0
if u really want the vibrant style wait for the galaxy s 4g which is the vibrant but with a FFC and since all vibrant owners have 2.2 now it will have a 2.2 as well with hopes of support to 2.3 [take it with a grain of salt] I'd personally wait for something better to pop form htc dont go with mytouch because its a bloatware phone and the g2 is a nice choice but with its 800 mhz processor I cant see it putting up a fight much longer, best of luck friend.

Upvote 0
I'd get the Samsung Galaxy S 4g(that is a long name lol)

doesnt it outspec the nexus s except for the most recent android version?

and the g2 is a good phone(i'm using one now due to breaking my htc hd7)
Didn't its speed top other phones?

I dont think the processor numbers 800 vs 1ghz matters as much seeing how its using a more recent processor

Upvote 0
carmendiva, i'd change my avatar if i were you. this place is for people of all ages children and adults. while the body in that avatar does look fantastic, i think a parent helping a younger person, or even the other way around, some people will end up upset.

also gj on helping people. im glad to see you and others are helping out!

(just dont act like a hardcore zealot!) :D

Reactions: carmendiva
Upvote 0
carmendiva, i'd change my avatar if i were you. this place is for people of all ages children and adults. while the body in that avatar does look fantastic, i think a parent helping a younger person, or even the other way around, some people will end up upset.

also gj on helping people. im glad to see you and others are helping out!

(just dont act like a hardcore zealot!) :D

I don't see anything offensive about carmen's avatar. Jeez, it's not like she has no top or anything. What do you do when you go to the beach Ghost? Wear blinders over your eyes? Oh you better tell Robinelli there's too much cleavage on her avatar as well!

Upvote 0
I don't see anything offensive about carmen's avatar. Jeez, it's not like she has no top or anything. What do you do when you go to the beach Ghost? Wear blinders over your eyes? Oh you better tell Robinelli there's too much cleavage on her avatar as well!

no i do not wear blinders. i actually rip my eyelids off at the beach so i dont miss any pairs. thats besides the point. =P

i love you guys. YOU KNOW YOU MISSED ME

Upvote 0
Robo! <<<gasp>>> LOL.
I am really happy with the changes I've noticed so far. I love being able to use the wifi calling function. I also got my call waiting function back, too. So yay! I might get something new this summer but at least now I have the patience to wait until July or so. However, unless other phones start carrying Super Amoled or its equivalent I doubt I'll find anything I'll want to trade for. As a side note, I haven't tried the GPS since I DL'd 2.2. I've heard it screws with it (shocker, right). I went ahead and DL'd GPS restore and ran it to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones