Help me choose an Android Phone

Last Updated:

1. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

UK person here!

I'm thinking of upgrading my iPhone 3G for something newer. I'm considering Android, as nice as Apple products are to use, they do carry a price premium. The main things I use my phone for are

Internet Browsing (by far the main use), mainly Facebook app
    Emails
    Texting
    Listening to online radio (via TuneIn Radio)
    Taking Photos (want at the minimum 5MP, preferably 8MP)
    Sat Nav (occasional use for when I don't have my TomTom, Google Maps should do it)
    Calendar (just setting occasional alarms to remind me of things)
    Music - want to sync with iTunes
    Games - my favourites are Scrabble, Paper Toss, Who Wants To Be A Football Millionaire and Air Hockey
    Other fave apps are NHS Drinks Tracker, Sky Sports Footy, Auto Trader, Petrol Prices and TV Guide
    Watching TV via TV Catchup

Anyoe have any reccomendations? Don't mind buying secondhand, or getting a contract as long as it has data usage. Want one with a quick processor, the main reason I am getting rid of my iPhone is that it's slow at times. And that the camera isn't fantastic. Oh and I want the latest version of Android, maybe not at time of purchase, but want regular updates from the manufacturer.

I appreciate that the UK may have different names for their phones, as opposed to the US.

Opinions on looking so far.. Sony Xperia X10 has a good spec list but I don't like the interface. And the HTC Hero HD looks awesome, but it's not out yet in UK

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. RussWWFC

Looking further at a mag's top reccomendations I fancy..

HTC Desire/Desire HD
    Samsung Galaxy S looks good too

Another thing I wanted was a decent music player on the device, I'm saying goodbye to an iPod after all!

3. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member

RussWWFC: can't you wait 2 weeks ? Desire Z & HD will be on sale starting October 11th, see on Amazon UK or Expansys.

4. RussWWFC

I may well do that, I'm in no rush and want to research things properly