Help me choose my first ROM (Droid 1)

Last Updated:

1. schleppy

schleppy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just rooted my Droid and now I'm ready to find a ROM to use. I'm looking for the following:

1.) Stripped down and as fast as possible. I don't need a lot of extras or modded apps
    2.) Google Apps bundled with it
    3.) A dark theme would be nice (or the option to use one)
    4.) Decent battery life

That's it really.

So far it looks like Bugless .5, or maybe Chevy.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The first thing you MUST know is that, every DROID behaves differently to each ROM and/or kernel. What works amazingly well on mine might suck on yours. What this means is that you may have to do some experimenting to figure out what's best for you. Nobody here can tell you what's best for your DROID.

Having said that ... I've flashed just about every ROM coming and going since last December. I have yet to see anything to compare to the latest offerings from Blackdroid. His latest TheUltimateDroid 1.0.0 is head and shoulders above any other ROM I've ever used. Here's the thread for that ROM.

schleppy likes this.
  3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

For themes, checkout THIS THREAD. I highly recommend the 'Black N Bold' theme for you. Hope this helps...

4. schleppy

I know each mod will perform different on each Droid, I just wanted to get a handle on which mod has the features (or lack thereof) that I'm looking for.

Thanks messenger!

5. edgeupgx

edgeupgx Well-Known Member

Project Elite V2 is a pretty basic fast rom. It has been working best for me so far although I did have to flash away from the slayher kernel with a low voltage chevy but since then its been amazing as far as speed and the way the phone runs as well. My best suggestion is to flash around all of the latest roms have are very compairable it really just depends on your droid as results can vary so much. I've ran 3 so far BB4 which was nice and I didnt have problems with it. PE2 and the newest ultimate droid. Right now PE2 is what im sticking with for the time being.

schleppy likes this.
  6. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

LFYsmoked glass 1.71 or Charity sg91 are both clean fast and stable for me. Do a complete wipe when you install and you should be good to go. They are both a "dark" basic theme. I have not had as good a luck with the UD roms but as has been posted it can be phone dependent.

schleppy likes this.
  7. androidlover14

androidlover14 Well-Known Member

it can be phone dependent or IT IS. Trying out roms is pretty much trial and error. No 2 Droids will like all the same roms and no droid will like every single rom. Just so you know.

8. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

?? Didn't I just say that. I don't understand your post. I know, I have tried many which is why I said it might be phone dependent. There are phones out there that folks can throw anything on and they run, hence "can"...

9. androidlover14

androidlover14 Well-Known Member

Kind of. I just specified a little bit more. Probably didn't need to though. But idk. Been kind of loopy today. Possibly sick. Not really thinking straight. Sorry:eek:

10. schleppy

My current plan is to backup all my apps and settings with Ti Backup, buy ROM Manager, perform another backup, then start trying out ROMS.

Once I find a ROM that runs well I'll restore all my apps and whatnot into it.

Reasonable plan?

11. smpage

smpage Well-Known Member

the Ultimate Droid

12. ballmore

ballmore Member

My top three:

1. Ultimate droid- There is a reason why people mention this rom more often than others. It's awesome!!!! :) I just added a theme (Reds) over it yesterday but I was completely happy without one because of how nice U.D. looks without it. You can't download U.D. 1.0.0 from Rom Manager but you can use the link above or go to droidforums.net and get it there.

2. ShadowRom- This to me is the next step down as far as having less options to work with but until I tried U.D. it was my favorite. You can find it in Rom Manager.

3. ChevyNo1 or Cyanogenmod- O.K. that makes four but I couldn't choose between these two for my third place slot. They are both great. Both of these can be found in Rom Manager.

I have been able to try quite a few roms and themes out and all of them worked. I came across some hiccups with a couple roms as follows:

1. If you get force closes on apps and market then go to rom manager and run permissions.

2. If you get force close on gmail then try re-wyping and reinstalling the rom and theme.

3. If you get the notification that your gmail won't sync then (while in the gmai app) open the menu>more>help>scroll down to troubleshooting>click problems with sync and go on from there.

4. If you install a rom and get stuck in a bootloop then go back to your backup>start your phone up again and try installing a different kernel.

All of this is off of the top of my head so guys if you find something wrong that needs to be corrected please chime in (but without attitude). I'm just trying to help. Also I know that these "fixes" don't always fix the problems but problems but they are just suggestions to help a noob have a great first experience.

ULTIMATE DROID 1.0.0
    P3DROID kernel (forgot wich one though. lol)
    Reds Urban Version 6.0 theme

schleppy likes this.
  13. jimmydickens

jimmydickens Member

Another vote for UltimateDroid. My 2nd pick would be Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.7.

UltimateDroid has been outstanding.

14. schleppy

Great tips ballmore, thank you!

I ended up flashing UD 1.0.0 onto my phone. The first time around I forgot to wipe cache AND data, and got stuck in a boot loops. I wiped the cache/data twice and reflashed. It worked perfectly. The ROM runs very nicely, and is setup really well in "stock" form. I also like that the UD options are in a separate settings area. Very clean and well thought out ROM.

UD was fantastic until I found that I couldn't update Google Search in the market (update failed every time). I tried to uninstall it and re-install it from backup, but that ended up doing more damage than good. I ended up flashing back to stock (rooted) from my nandroid backup.

Knowing about that permissions repair trick may have helped. I'll likely flash UD again tonight.

Thanks again to everyone that has chimed in. This is a great community!

15. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Project Elite V2 = Best Bare bones, super fast ROM
    Ultimate Droid 1.0.0 = Best ROM with customization
    Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.7 = A nice mix of speed and customization.

Those are my top 3 current ROM picks. All of them are great!

16. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

if I get a rom and have it all running and I want to try another and I erase and flash a new rom, can I go back to my previous ROM and all the customizations I had? If so, how? I have all the necessary programs mentioned for rooting.

17. dew912

dew912 Well-Known Member

Try my ROM. It works well!

18. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

sure can, just make sure before you wipe data and cache you do a backup. This way you load up the new one and it sucks, flash your backup and presto, you're off and running again.
    You'll also want this just incase something goes sideways during the install and you boot loop or something like that.

19. sevenstars

sevenstars Banned

20. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

aside from installing clockwork, ROM Manger is worthless. The backups can be done inside clockwork as well as the ROM install happens there.
    Just incase you wanna save your dollar or whatever it costs.

21. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Those would be my top three as well.

Personally, project elite heats up quickly, UD is the fastest of the three but not so great battery life and LFY has the best combo of speed/customization and battery life.

To the OP, I'd give these three a try and run each for a few days (long enough to judge battery life and any other issues) and see which one works out best for you.

22. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

i vote BB or LFY

havent tried ThUD though

23. Rick620

Rick620 Member

Ultimate droid 1.0 gets my vote as well. Wickedly fast and very stable. Also download and flash chevyno 1 kernal. I'm using the 1.25 ulow. You need to flash a kernal for wireless tether to work. Stock wont allow...