• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me choose?

triquetraB

Lurker
Dec 13, 2013
My apology if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I own an LG G2 D800 on AT&T that has been giving me trouble with Wi-Fi. I was able to get it replaced since they detected that the Wi-Fi transmitter in the device was going bad. I now have the same problem on my replacement device. This is an issue, because AT&T only lets me have 5GB of data to use. I am always going over my limit of data since I can only use 4G correctly. I've decided to sell this phone, pay off my contract, and get a new phone.

Of course, I'm not going to want to go to a phone with downgraded hardware/performance than the G2. Luckily, two phones (HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5) recently came out; and are very appealing to me. I was researching specs and performance of both these devices, and found that the iPhone 5s outperforms both of these devices significantly in gaming. I like playing games like GTA: San Andreas on my phone, and the iPhone 5S seems to be the best device suited for gaming performance. However, the Galaxy S5 has the most features. The features includes a fingerprint scanner, Micro SD card slot, removable back, removable battery, heart rate sensor (which is kind of useless to me), etc. Then there's the One M8. It features the same processor as the S5, and many identical specs. However, it does not feature a removable back or fingerprint scanner. One exclusive feature though, is the incredible HTC Boomsound.

All three of these devices each have their own appeal and exclusive features. My question is, determining on the facts I can list bellow:

I own an iMac, which would compliment iOS 7
I am a heavy gamer
I need a device with a lot of support, and customization
Features are important, but looks are too
I need improvement over the G2, espically with Wi-Fi

could someone give me their opinion or recommendation on what device might suit me the best?

Samsung, for the same processor, is slower than most other phones. They load their phones with a log of junk and, if you don't know how to redo the phone, even their fastest phones aren't that snappy.

The M8 is a great phone. But when the battery goes, either you know how to repair cellphones, or you pay a shop to replace the battery, and - compared to the ~$15 price of the battery - isn't cheap. Same problem with an iPhone. Another problem with an iPhone is that it's a LOT less configurable than an Android phone.

If all you want is a good gaming phone, and aren't going to be personalizing it much (the only way Samsung would know that my Note 3 is their phone is their name on the case), go with the iPhone. If you want control over your phone and don't care about paying a lot for battery replacements, go with the M8. Otherwise go with the S5. (If you treat a LiIon battery right it can last for years. But that means charging it when it gets to about 40%-60% of charge. If you constantly drain every last bit of power out of it, you could be in for a new battery every 6 months.)

Upvote 0
Honestly, you shouldn't have issues gaming on any flagship. They all are more than capable of running any game out there. Don't worry about benchmarks scores and things like that, they generally do a poor job of measuring real world performance.

You've done a great job of picking out each devices strengths and weaknesses and how important they are to you, now it's time to go into a store and actually get some real life experience with them.

You can't go wrong with any you mentioned. My best advice is to go play with them and choose the one that wows/feels/works best for you :)

Upvote 0
Honestly, you shouldn't have issues gaming on any flagship. They all are more than capable of running any game out there. Don't worry about benchmarks scores and things like that, they generally do a poor job of measuring real world performance.

You've done a great job of picking out each devices strengths and weaknesses and how important they are to you, now it's time to go into a store and actually get some real life experience with them.

You can't go wrong with any you mentioned. My best advice is to go play with them and choose the one that wows/feels/works best for you :)

Samsung, for the same processor, is slower than most other phones. They load their phones with a log of junk and, if you don't know how to redo the phone, even their fastest phones aren't that snappy.

The M8 is a great phone. But when the battery goes, either you know how to repair cellphones, or you pay a shop to replace the battery, and - compared to the ~$15 price of the battery - isn't cheap. Same problem with an iPhone. Another problem with an iPhone is that it's a LOT less configurable than an Android phone.

If all you want is a good gaming phone, and aren't going to be personalizing it much (the only way Samsung would know that my Note 3 is their phone is their name on the case), go with the iPhone. If you want control over your phone and don't care about paying a lot for battery replacements, go with the M8. Otherwise go with the S5. (If you treat a LiIon battery right it can last for years. But that means charging it when it gets to about 40%-60% of charge. If you constantly drain every last bit of power out of it, you could be in for a new battery every 6 months.)

These are both really great tips. I will keep both the info that Rukbat gave, and the advice that Rxpert83 gave in mind when I am making the purchase. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'll have to agree with breadnatty08 and Rxpert 83 in this case, I've got a sprint g2 and I've never had wifi issues myself.

If your in no rush for the upgrade, the LG G3 should be getting announced in the near future, from speculation and rumors, the g3 should be a rather large upgrade than from your current g2.

Otherwise if it was me upgrading, I'd go for the HTC one m8, mainly because of its build quality opposed to how cheap Samsung phones feel.

But the best way to decide as above, find a store that has live demo's and test out both devices to see which one catches your eye the most.

Upvote 0
Of course, I'm not going to want to go to a phone with downgraded hardware/performance than the G2. Luckily, two phones (HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5) recently came out; and are very appealing to me. I was researching specs and performance of both these devices, and found that the iPhone 5s outperforms both of these devices significantly in gaming.

Newer devices with Snapdragon 800 or equivalent have comparable gaming performance to the iPhone 5S, a little better if you believe some benchmarks, the reason the iPhone 5S has such an advantage is because it's running a lower resolution and in some instances they are optimized more.

For something comparable you need an Android device running a similar screen resolution like the Xperia Z1 Compact.

Due to the lower 720p resolution the Xperia Z1 Compact will have better gaming performance than the current flagship devices running 1080p.

That is not true, from my experience with the Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S5 both are very responsive with 4.4.2 and I can tell you the performance is not reduced by the Samsung's software because I switch between Google Play and Touchwiz roms a lot and actual performance is unaffected, it's a myth.

The difference I think your referring too is the delay in launching some of the Samsung applications, mainly phone, contacts and messaging. Samsung have done this since the Galaxy S4 and I really don't know why as it annoys allot of users, it's a minor issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones