help me chose

Last Updated:

1. kyfredrickson

kyfredrickson Member This Topic's Starter

I have been researching for weeks on what phone to get, and as i am 3 days away from upgrading.. I am still unsure. It seems like the two best choices for me would be the droid x or the samsung fascinate. While both have their ups and downs... i just cant decide!

I plan on using phone to txt ALOT, use internet ALOT, I like watching youtube. Phone calls obviously, alot of the fitness apps and that stuff. Id also possibly like to put SOME music on it but that is not a necessity. Mostly just normal use...

help me chose why the fascinate better than the droid x?

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I know your intent and its a noble one you dont wanna pick the wrong one. Dont wanna pay the $35 re stock fee. Dont wanna be handcuffed to the wrong one when you could have picked the right one. Honestly best thing to do is go to a retail store and take an hour if you need it to play with each device. Each device is cream of the crop. Each has some amazing feature-set selling points. And yes each has a few issues keeping it from walking on water so to speak.
    Just give them a little test drive in store. You can read up on each in these forums but be cautious and know that in each camp are some die hard's which kinda at times can rip the other side, which is ridiculous because at the end of the day its a cell phone and these die hards dont get any real world benefit ripping the other phone. Not to mention the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is, the complaints surface much more than the compliments. So take anything you read on an internet forum with a grain of salt.
    Bottom Line: go play with them; usually your favorite emerges after a bit of use

3. Jake_Mongoose

Jake_Mongoose Well-Known Member

For me, the deciding factor was getting the Fascinate for a penny through Amazon. Neither device is perfect, both have pros and cons. I loathe the physical buttons on the X, hate the Bing on the Fascinate. Bing can be overcome easily, the hardware buttons cannot. But the buttons are a personal preference and you may disagree 100% or it may not matter.

Both are great devices and if I could have got the X for the same price without having to wait weeks for it, my decision would have been a lot harder. But saving two hundred bucks is saving two hundred bucks. Many people would not want to go any route but through a corporate store, but as I've said before, I'm cheap.

4. Araliss

Araliss Well-Known Member

After 2 years on AT&T with iPhone 3G and AT&T's crap service, I decided I was trying out everyone before I was locked into contract hell again. :D

In the past month, I've had the EVO, the Samsung Epic, The Samsung Vibrant, the Droid X and now the Fascinate. You may notice there is a pattern here. 3 Samsung phones.

I'm not much of a texter but I do IM a lot. Aim, MSN etc. I found the Droid X the easiest to type on because the screen is big and long and the virtual keys had plenty of room for my fingers.

I actually liked the physical keys. The capacitive buttons were easy to hit by accident. The Droid X solved that with real keys.

Camera on it was very nice, as was the Video.

Then the Samsung phones. Personally, I liked the Epic best of the three. When I'm chatting with people, I hated how the virtual keyboard covered up the screen. The Epic's keyboard allowed me to type and see what people were saying.

Since I couldn't keep the Epic, because I couldn't get the Sprint signal every where I needed it, I got the Fascinate. The keys are more cramped to type on and I found myself making more mistakes on it. Then I tried Swype and that pretty much became a non issue.

Between the two, the Droid X feels heavier and more solid. The Fascinate seems to take equally good pictures if not slightly better. For me it came down to the screen. After using the Samsung screen, the Droid X looked washed out. You have to see the Samsung screens to truly see how drools worthy it is.

Movies, games, are going to look better on the Fascinate. To me text looked better on the Fascinate. There were other little quirps I liked about the Fascinate better. Like reading a forum like this, if you double click the text to blow it up, the Fascinate formats it really well to your screen. No scrolling to the side to see everything. The Droid X for me was always slightly off and I'd have to try to tweak the adjustment.

In my opinion, the Samsung has an excellent music player, no troubles there.

Anyway, thats just my take on both phones. I paid a tad more for my Fascinate so I could be on a 1 year contract this time. If you can afford to lose 35, I'd try them both and keep the one you like best if you plan to have it a year or longer. :D