help me decide to root or not

Last Updated:

1. ttype86

ttype86 Member This Topic's Starter

ok i know there is prob 100,000 posts that i could refer to on this but can u techies help me out here please? i am interested in rooting my moto droid so i can get the extra "speed". i have no computer expert by any means so i am affraid to try this. i think gaining root access seems pretty straight foward but after the fact is my problem. i want to run this thing faster like i see u all posting about. i coukd wait for the over air update but i want to run faster and if i dont root to get 2.1 i wont be able to do this, is that correct? i cant do all this if it requires alot of computer brainpower
    cuz i dont know what im doing. so my question is, at my level of expertise is this a safe thing to be doing? (rooting and running over 550mhz) i dont want a headache and dont want to have to mess with stuff once its done. just want do do it and then have this device pretty much be "turn key" from then on. sorry if i sound like a ****.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

While there is an app (the SMUpdater) that will spoonfeed you the directions on how to root, flash a custom recovery, and then flash the Sholes ROM (which offers up to 1.2GHz speeds now), it will not teach you a single thing about the process, or what is going on 'behind the scenes'

If that's alright with you, then by all means, go ahead and do it. It is relatively safe and has minimal risks of going wrong. Once you've flashed the Sholes ROM, there's not much more work you have to do.

3. ttype86

ya i could care less whats goin on "behind the scenes" as long as its.legit. i just dont want to have to be "hacking" around with this thing once i root. if that were the case id be lost and pissed i cant use my phone.lol.
    so as far as the 2.1 over air update to come. would i definitely want to just go ahead and root now if im wanting to overclock this thing? if i install the update i wont be able to overclock, is that correct? i definitely want to do this if thats the case. i want this puppy to mo dock...

4. ttype86

ya i could care less whats goin on "behind the scenes" as long as its.legit. i just dont want to have to be "hacking" around with this thing once i root. if that were the case id be lost and pissed i cant use my phone.lol.
    so as far as the 2.1 over air update to come. would i definitely want to just go ahead and root now if im wanting to overclock this thing? if i install the update i wont be able to overclock, is that correct? i definitely want to do this if thats the case. i want this puppy to mo dock...

5. ttype86