• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me decide...

GKNByNW

Nov 17, 2011
North By Northwest
I've had my OV since last October, and it's the first (and only) Android phone I've owned. Back in mid-November I rooted & installed custom ROM (BACKside IHO at the time, CM9 Quattrimus for the last few months) and I *REALLY* like the Android OS and all that it entails. I've been drooling over the super-large 4.1" screen on the Triumph, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing one. My OV is in pretty rough shape, as it's been dropped on concrete more than once. The body has some rough scrapes and the (IMHO) cheap plastic screen is quite scratched up. Perhaps this is all a testament to how tough these little guys are.

Anyway, now that the Triumph has dropped down to $200 on virginmobileusa-dot-com I was thinking about making the switch and giving my girlfriend my Optimus. But I just got done reading the first 40 customer reviews on VM's site. Holy crap, what happened? Motorola used to be THE best cell phone manufacturer around. Out of the 40 reviews I read, a whopping 10 said they would "recommend this to a friend" while the other 30 were nothing but negative comments about the MT. I know that when the MT debuted last year there were some glitches with it, but that's to be expected with a new product.

Most of the issues with it seem to be hardware-related (bad speaker, bad microphone, bad charging port) so obviously a root/custom ROM will not remedy these issues. Perhaps I should have posted this in the Triumph forums, but can anyone tell me what the heck has happened with this phone?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones