• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me find my unicorn phone

slick_vick

Sep 13, 2010
You guys. I need a new phone soon. The phones I have owned:
OG Verizon Droid --> SG2 --> Galaxy Nexus --> SG3 -->Nexus 5

I love my Nexus 5, its been my baby for almost 3 years now. I really do not want to give it up. But it is inevitable. Would love to get help with finding my unicorn phone!

I have been researching and perusing for a while now. NOTHING is striking my fancy. I'm very picky though, with form factor being my #1 priority:
  • No behemoth phone. I thought my N5 was huge when I bought it, do not want to go much bigger. I have wee hands, even for a girl
  • No physical buttons on the front, I like my shiz clean
  • No damn brand logo on the front! Like I said, I like my shiz clean
  • Flat back with small or no protrusions - I will use a case so this could be remedied
Other preferences:
  • Mid-range in price, would like to keep it under 400
  • Notification light
  • As close to stock as possible
Thoughts on current phones:
  • Was sure that Moto G4/Plus was going to be my phone despite being larger than preferred. But it feels a little cheap in the hand and doesn't have a notification light.
  • Thought Honor 5x might fit the bill - also larger than preferred but has notification light and feels better in hand. But I'm wary of the UI and getting updates (yes I know I could just replace with Google Now but....)
  • Now I'm thinking Nexus 5x - but with everything I've read about it I think I might just be disappointed by it coming from N5.
  • I'd take a Pixel in a heartbeat but I aint paying that much!
  • Why can't they just make an N5 with updated internals?
Thoughts? Am I being too picky? What am I overlooking? Do I wait longer? Is there a way to remove logos? Lol HELP!

Thanks in advance :D

Reactions: mdraselmdrasel865
Never too picky. We like what we like.
The new Moto G5 might work for you. There's Honor 8, ZTE Axon 7, One + 1 - 2 - 3, etc.

The biggest (pun intended) problem you'll have at this point is most are moving to a 5.5in or bigger format.

I LOVE my Motorolas, they are solid and work well. My Moto x 2013 is still going strong (being used by a friend's daughter) my Atrix HD still works fine and of course my Nexus 6 is still my daily and rolling along fine. You may want to look at the G5 it comes out later this month and looks to be all metal, decent size and specs and seems to meet your other requirements. Hoping they release it here in the states. Course there's the Nexus 5x (super cheap right now and solid - if unspectacular)

Good luck BTW - today's market doesn't really ring my bell either.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Keep em coming.

I forgot to mention that I was on Verizon but now on Tmo.

I'm glad to see all the Moto love. I had Moto dumb phones for years and loved my OG Moto Droid. Haven't used one since but when I last upgraded to N5 I got my husband the 2013 Moto X which also needs replacing. That is one fine phone, I pick it up every so often and think Damn this is perfect! I do like the active notifications, better than no notification light. Though he is fine with upgrading to the behemoth X Pure, while I sit here and deliberate myself into insanity. For a while I was looking into importing the X Play just for that .2" smaller screen size lol.

G5 - Happy to hear about supposed metal build. I may wait and see about that. But I also know that they're putting that stupid "moto" stamp on the front now which UGH why :mad: My friend has an Honor 8 and I do like it, but I think I'd rather have a big ass phone than have to stare at a logo all the time. Either my eyeballs or my hands will have to adjust I guess!

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, a logo such as these can be removed with minimal effort. Usually they are just painted on. That said, the G5 will have no logo's on the front.
Here's "spy shots" the little Moto bat wing in the upper corner goes on beta models and will not be on production. There is an M on the back but again, a little effort goes a long way!
;)
phpzgdlhu.jpg

Just saw this, the "moto" at the top can be massaged off as well, easy peasy.
gsmarena_001.jpg

Upvote 0
ive been kinda partial atm to the one plus 3t i just dont have the money though but seems like a decent phone

its like 4 something-5 sumthing but it comes with alot of storage space and alot of decent specs plus a biometric fingerprint sensor whitch is a plus.im working on upgrading my computer atm but it does sound sweet.the other suggestions made though can work as well.

ps i was a little scared at first when i saw the topic read help me find my unicorn phone lol

i was expecting this to get weird ;P

Upvote 0
ive been kinda partial atm to the one plus 3t

The OnePlus 3 is a nice phone, but it misses on a few of the OP's points. Size is a little large, but probably manageable since it's rather thin and doesn't have much of a bezel, but it does have the fingerprint sensor on the front which looks like the button she doesn't want. And its got a fairly significant bump for the camera lens. It's also a little pricey at $440.00 which isn't too bad given the spec's but they are out of stock right now anyway. :(

i was expecting this to get weird

We can do "weird" if you like. ;)

Upvote 0
The OnePlus 3 is a nice phone, but it misses on a few of the OP's points. Size is a little large, but probably manageable since it's rather thin and doesn't have much of a bezel, but it does have the fingerprint sensor on the front which looks like the button she doesn't want. And its got a fairly significant bump for the camera lens. It's also a little pricey at $440.00 which isn't too bad given the spec's but they are out of stock right now anyway. :(

We can do "weird" if you like. ;)

true but I thought a fingerprint sensor is a lil different from what the op was talking about as its not too big and its actually cool cause not many phones have it.plus its totally modifiable since its the first approved rooted phone that can go on any network.

I just checked the site and I don't see anywhere it says its out of stock.i mentioned the 3t not the 3 whitch isn't being produced nomore.the 3t is an upgraded version and it still gives the option to buy a 64 gig for 439 whitch aint too bad.

also I love weird lol.

To OP:all these are excellent suggestions,just depends what you want out of life.how much you want to customize and how much power you can handle ;P good shopping

correction:128 is out of stock but not the 64 whitch is a lil bit more than the ops 400 mark but not by much

Last edited:
Reactions: slick_vick
Upvote 0
My only advice would be try to find an unlocked phone. I'm using a Nexus 5X and the fact that I can go to any US carrier and the phone has zero bloatware is a win-win.

How is the battery life of your 5x and how does the build quality feel? Those are my only two concerns with 5x. I will use a case so maybe I won't notice the cheaper/plastic feel?

Thanks again everyone, I am feeling vindicated lol. Pretty sure its gonna be XPE or N5x.

Upvote 0
How is the battery life of your 5x and how does the build quality feel? Those are my only two concerns with 5x. I will use a case so maybe I won't notice the cheaper/plastic feel?

Thanks again everyone, I am feeling vindicated lol. Pretty sure its gonna be XPE or N5x.
I will admit the build quality isn't as good as some other phones, my Droid Maxx2 is one example. But on the other hand I only paid $300.00 for it new, so... Battery life is fine for me. I am decidedly NOT a power user and could go three days between charges if I wanted/had to. I use a thin case and so far have had no issues. Nougat runs well on it. I think it's a solid choice especially for what it costs. The fact that it works on Verizon is big for me. The complete lack of bloatware and monthly security patches are also major considerations for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: slick_vick
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones