• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Me Get a Promotion

Hello Wise Forum,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Here's the situation: I have a large number of Motorola XT603 Admirals that came to me second hand. The phones are in working condition but upon opening the Camera, I receive this message "Camera Disabled by System Administrator". I'm assuming these phones were corporate at one time.

I've tried everything inside of Android. So then I rooted. Tried the Root App Delete. When sucessfully installed Safestrap 3.05 but it never goes to the menu upon startup. It always says "Disabled" and then starts normally.

How can I either (a) remove the administrator and make the camera work or (b)install a fresh copy of Gingerbread or (c)?????

Thanks in advance,

Will

Hello and welcome to the forums! I am not sure how to get the camera to work, but i can definitely help you install android.

Follow these steps, and if you have any questions, reply or pm me. But as always:

THE OP IS MERELY PROVIDING RELEVANT INFORMATION. THERE IS ALWAYS A SMALL CHANCE THAT SOMETHING CAN GO WRONG WITH YOUR DEVICE. THE OP SHALL HOLD NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES TO THE DEVICE INCLUDING HARD/SOFT BRICKING OF THE DEVICE. TO ENSURE BEST CHANCE OF SUCCESS, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AS STATED!

Okay, with that out of the way:

1) In settings, scroll to the about tab. open and note the Android Version and build number.

2) Do a google search for something like, Android 2.x.x GXXXX download .zip (and download it). I have a direct download of version 2.3.6 GRK39F here.

3) Name it update.zip

4) Connect your phone to your PC and copy the file to the root directory (Not in a folder) of storage (SD Card).

5) Power off the phone.

6) Power on while holding Power + Volume Down until an android with his service panel open appears.

7) Using the volume keys, scroll up/down to Recovery and select it with the power button

8) Scroll to either the yes entry, ok etc. or if a yellow triangle appears, press Power + Volume Up

9) A menu will appear. Select sdcard:update.zip.

10) The screen will say install complete.

11) Select reboot now.

That's it! As forementioned don't be afraid to ask me questions, because bricking phones suck, and will most definitely not get you a promotion. Good luck!

If I helped show that thanks button some love :D

Upvote 0
Thank you for the prompt response.

I found a very similar android build to the one I have, downloaded it and named it update.zip. I formatted an sd card and placed it in the root folder. When I click "apply update from sdcard" the next screen says "E: failed to mount /sdcard (Device or resource busy)"

What next?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones