• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Me, Help My Uncle Find a New Verizon Plan.

Hey guys and gals,

I am new to the forum staying with my uncle for the winter in North Idaho. I just found out that he is literally getting hosed on his Verizon plan. He's really frustrated with his Blackberry Storm, which from what I've seen is a saddest excuse for a BB smart phone ever. He's out of contract and is committed to getting a new Android phone after he's seen what mine is capable of.

Once I told him he could get one of the new Droid phones on Verizon for super cheap with a contract renewal he told me exactly what he's paying. For amazingly high price of $180 dollars a month he's getting 1400 minutes, unlimited internet and 800 texts. This was a family plan that he has since canceled the other two phones on. Probably the reason that he's paying an arm and a leg for. He's the GM of a movie theater up here the need for unlimited interweb and texting is a necessity.

I figured I could call for him and renegotiate a new plan for him, but frankly I am unfamiliar with Verizon plans and offerings. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. His current plan makes my Sprint SERO 500 plan with $30 dollars of add-ons look down right frugal!
eek.gif

Thanks in advance to all those that reply!

-Acid

Hey guys and gals,

I am new to the forum staying with my uncle for the winter in North Idaho. I just found out that he is literally getting hosed on his Verizon plan. He's really frustrated with his Blackberry Storm, which from what I've seen is a saddest excuse for a BB smart phone ever. He's out of contract and is committed to getting a new Android phone after he's seen what mine is capable of.

Once I told him he could get one of the new Droid phones on Verizon for super cheap with a contract renewal he told me exactly what he's paying. For amazingly high price of $180 dollars a month he's getting 1400 minutes, unlimited internet and 800 texts. This was a family plan that he has since canceled the other two phones on. Probably the reason that he's paying an arm and a leg for. He's the GM of a movie theater up here the need for unlimited interweb and texting is a necessity.

I figured I could call for him and renegotiate a new plan for him, but frankly I am unfamiliar with Verizon plans and offerings. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. His current plan makes my Sprint SERO 500 plan with $30 dollars of add-ons look down right frugal!
eek.gif

Thanks in advance to all those that reply!

-Acid

Does he have to stick with VZW?

Upvote 0
Does he use voice a lot? He could definitely downgrade from the 1,400 minutes. Our family of 4 has trouble using that many minutes with quite a few people using voice to talk to the girlfriends and coworkers.

It's:

$29.99 for unlimited data
$20.00 for 5000 texts, unlimited verizon to verizon
$59.99 for 900 minutes

With those, the total is $110. $70 less per month than what you're currently paying. You could probably cut down on the texting. I'm 17 and I text quite a bit but seldom go over 2,000 per month.

Reactions: AciDeX
Upvote 0
What would it be for four.

If it was four 4g phones, it would actually get pretty pricey O.O

$130 + $40 + $40 = $210. Wow. That 4G charge really hikes it up a bit.

I do have a 23% corp discount however, and everyone can get at least a 10% discount with Sprint. All they need is an AOL account =P

Without the 4G charges, it would be $170 for 4 lines. And unlimited everything, aside from land line minutes, of course.

Upvote 0
Yea, I have a corporate discount with Verizon as well. the $180 was a rough estimate, being that I'm not the actually one who pays the bills, fortunately.

I'm curious to find out what the pricing on Verizon's LTE will be. I test out android phones and one of Verizon's LTE devices will probably find itself in my hands someday. If the LTE price is too much, combined with the price for unlimited data already, I might have to give it up.

Upvote 0
Above is for the "Talk" plan.

If you choose the "Talk & Text" plan, you can get unlimited texting with 900 minutes for $79.99 per month plus $29.99 for unlimited data. That actually ends up being the same as above, which is a tad odd.

The 20.00 feature for Unlimited verizon to verizon/5000 text feature is actually for lines in family share plans.

Upvote 0
I'm on the new Talk & Text Data Promo plan.

69.99 -- 450 min, unlim text, unlim data and Verizon's network.

Yeah that's pretty sweet.

If VZW did an unlimited everything 69.99 plan like that, and avail to the general public, AND bring your own device capable (as long as its on the same cdma bands, of course.), they would completely own the mobile market.

They'd take out Sprint/USC/TMo in one fell swoop.

Upvote 0
My uncle is tempted to check out Sprint's coverage in this area. He is slightly worried that it will not be adequate since I tend to roam fairly often around here. Which doesn't bother me none since my plan includes unlimited roaming.

I do think that one of Verizon's unlimited plans would work out nicely for him since he does spend allot of time on the phone. The 900 minute plan would probably work out the best if I can get him paying close to a hundred a month he'll be a happy camper.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming!

Upvote 0
Yep, same method. Root the Droid 2 and install one of many tethering apps from the market.

Thanks, my uncle is now looking at the Droid Global. I told him that it might be worth waiting for HTC's global phone that is supposed to launch soon. He spoke to a VZW rep yesterday and was quoted a 900 minute plan with unlimited text and net for $112 like someone had suggested. With his 20% corporate discount it should be much cheaper than what he's currently paying!

Upvote 0
Yep, that puts it at around $90. I'd say that extra $1,000 he's going to save each year will be nice.

As far as waiting for a new device goes: if you're waiting for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting. New and improved android phones come out with such frequency that eventually you'll have to bite the bullet and understand that a better device is just a few months away.

Upvote 0
Good thing for Sprint.

$69.99.... Talk/Text/Web.. vs.. oh right lol...

Is it really necessary to start promoting Sprint in the Verizon forum? He asked about a Verizon plan, not a sprint plan.

To the OP, what does he use in minutes a month or what are his needs? The $20 5000 messages and unlimited vz to vz is the same as a talk and text plan on a single line.

Upvote 0
Thanks, my uncle is now looking at the Droid Global. I told him that it might be worth waiting for HTC's global phone that is supposed to launch soon. He spoke to a VZW rep yesterday and was quoted a 900 minute plan with unlimited text and net for $112 like someone had suggested. With his 20% corporate discount it should be much cheaper than what he's currently paying!

Corp discount eligibility has to be verified before said discounts are put on customer accounts. That's why they tell you it takes 1-2 billing cycles for the discount to take effect. 900 talk & text is 79.99, unlim data is 29.99. If he gets a data feature discount in addition to an access discount, he's looking at 63.99 for the access, and 23.99 for the data.

Upvote 0
Is it really necessary to start promoting Sprint in the Verizon forum? He asked about a Verizon plan, not a sprint plan.

To the OP, what does he use in minutes a month or what are his needs? The $20 5000 messages and unlimited vz to vz is the same as a talk and text plan on a single line.

Why do you care so much? If someone is trying to save money why couldn't another service be suggested?:thinking::rolleyes::thinking:

Upvote 0

That's the tricky part, he was using nearly 1800 minutes just by himself last spring. Since then the chain of command has changed and he's pretty sure he can get away with 900 minutes with the F&F "pick ten" add-on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones