• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me justify getting the Galaxy S4

Hey everyone, Right now I have a Virgin Mobile Motorola Triumph running a custom ROM. Not the most advanced phone and carrier in the world, but at least it's only $25 a month.

I want the S4 in a very bad way. My VM phone has terrible service, but it's only $25 a month. Verizon is the carrier I would choose. They work very well in this area.

I can get by with 300 minutes a month, which I am doing now. It's the data I need, and not really that much either, maybe 2 GB's would do.

If i'm understanding the Verizon plans correctly, I can get the phone locally for $169. Besides the activation fee and other hidden costs it would cost me $90 a month for 2GB's of data.

An awesome S4 phone would be nice but $25 to $90 a month is quite a jump. I have slowly worked my way up from your basic Tracfone, so I'm used to cheap plans.

Is there any way I can do this cheaper with a good carrier? Sorry to sound like a cheapskate, but to me, that's a lot of money in the long run.

I know of some people that have flashed the SII and SIII on a Verizon prepaid plan and have unlimited data without having to pay for a data plan. So for $50/mo they get unlimited everything. I don't have any info on whether anyone has done it on an S4.

I'm still among the lucky few who has managed to hold on to the grandfathered unlimited data plan, so I don't need that and as such, I don't know much more on the subject. Maybe someone else can add some info.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that although the above can be done on a 4G phone (i.e., one with a SIM card), you cannot use it with a SIM card and data can only be used on 3G

Upvote 0
I think Straight Talk is what some relatives of mine are using. They chose to use the Verizon network (nothing else would work where they live). But I just looked, and the company only has the Galaxy S3, and I'm not even sure if it is available for CDMA service. I don't think you can use any CDMA phone that requires a SIM (i.e., no LTE CDMA phones) From what I read, I think only the T-Mobile service has 4G. Still, it's $45 per month for unlimited everything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones