• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me out guys: iPhone 4 vs SGS

I got the Galaxy s over the I phone and I cant believe how good it is, the screen is awsome just watched Telephone music vid (Gaga) and the picture was incredible,the speaker plays loud too and fairly decent, partner has an Iphone 3gs and when looking at the screens side by side Iphone looks dull new Iphone 4 has much better screen than 3gs though.
Good thing about I phone though is everybody releases compatable accessories I`m still looking for a decent car holder

Upvote 0
I got the Galaxy s over the I phone and I cant believe how good it is, the screen is awsome just watched Telephone music vid (Gaga) and the picture was incredible,the speaker plays loud too and fairly decent, partner has an Iphone 3gs and when looking at the screens side by side Iphone looks dull new Iphone 4 has much better screen than 3gs though.
Good thing about I phone though is everybody releases compatable accessories I`m still looking for a decent car holder

I've just bought one of these:
Brand New XYLO ACCESSORIES Car Kit: Windscreen Suction: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
I'm waiting for it to arrive. Will report back!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm kinda regretting getting the Galaxy now, should have waited for the iPhone 4 to be out here.

I'm not a techy geek type and have no intention to be, I'm just a normal joe who wants all the bells and whistles without having to root or broke or whatever the hell you call it.

Apple makes quality products that work out of the box, yes, functions are limited, but the ones that are included work brilliantly.

My wife has the 3g and never has problems with it, no lag, no heat problems, battery lasts a coupla days, connects to every bloody wifi connection whether hidden or not, whether enterprise or not.

I've had Samsungs in the past (the Blackjack) and it was not absolute shit, but had enough problems to give me a forewarning, yet I was seduced by the screen quality of the Galaxy, which although brilliant, creates it's own problems (like a horrendous battery life)

My only hope now is that the Froyo update comes thru and maybe it sorts out all the wifi problems...but I dunno, I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
I'm kinda regretting getting the Galaxy now, should have waited for the iPhone 4 to be out here.

I've had Samsungs in the past (the Blackjack) and it was not absolute shit, but had enough problems to give me a forewarning, yet I was seduced by the screen quality of the Galaxy, which although brilliant, creates it's own problems (like a horrendous battery life)

My only hope now is that the Froyo update comes thru and maybe it sorts out all the wifi problems...but I dunno, I'm not holding my breath.

I think that you'll find that the Galaxy's screen is the main reason why the phone has better battery life than most top-end smart phones.

Upvote 0
it took me a good one month to decide on which phone to get me and i've zeroed in on these three:

1. Nexus One
2. HTC Desire
3. Samsung Galaxy S.

I don't really trust a lot of reviews out on the internet. I think a first hand user experience is more un-biased.

So, i've made up my mind on a 1 Ghz Android. My problem now is that i don't know which one of the three i should get myself.

Out here in India, all three are gsm and hold no contracts as such.

All three cost 28,000/- = $600.

Any suggestions? Please.

Upvote 0

I'm not a techy geek type and have no intention to be, I'm just a normal joe who wants all the bells and whistles without having to root or broke or whatever the hell you call it.

Apple makes quality products that work out of the box, yes, functions are limited, but the ones that are included work brilliantly.

My wife has the 3g and never has problems with it, no lag, no heat problems, battery lasts a coupla days, connects to every bloody wifi connection whether hidden or not, whether enterprise or not.

My SGS has a consistent battery life of two days with what I would call normal use. A couple of hours of phone calls, a good deal of texting, some gaming, some surfing, some GPS and all syncs on.

Then again things apparently can differ since the people I know that own the 3GS have had problems and it does not work flawlessly, especially not as a phone. Bad reception and mediocre call quality. Not great battery life either. They have done several things very well though, which is partially thanks to that it's so limited.

Upvote 0
it took me a good one month to decide on which phone to get me and i've zeroed in on these three:

1. Nexus One
2. HTC Desire
3. Samsung Galaxy S.

I don't really trust a lot of reviews out on the internet. I think a first hand user experience is more un-biased.

So, i've made up my mind on a 1 Ghz Android. My problem now is that i don't know which one of the three i should get myself.

Out here in India, all three are gsm and hold no contracts as such.

All three cost 28,000/- = $600.

Any suggestions? Please.
Hardware-wise the SGS is hands down the winner in almost all aspects. They do have different interfaces and that's best to test out a bit yourself if you have the chance to do so in a store. The opinions of which is best is definitely varying from person to person.

When it comes to Android updates the Nexus One will of course get them the quickest as it's a Google phone. I don't think you need to worry about the Desire or SGS not getting updates though.

Personally I think the SGS is the one that feels like the most modern phone. The Nexus One came out quite a while ago now and the Desire is basically the same phone with a few tweaks. I'm happy that I cancelled my order for a Desire and went with the SGS, but it's of course also possible that my recommendation is biased towards what I own so take that into account.

Upvote 0
Here you go...not in English but a good side by side view....

YouTube - iPhone4 Vs Samsung Galaxy S

:D

NICE!! thanks for the vid but i'm not trying to hate on iphone 4 or anything but for some reason SGS screen looks better than iphone 4... i don't know what do u think?? its more brighter and u can see the screen better when you put the screen on angle..... hmm....

Upvote 0
:D

I agree! That's why keep telling people the Retina display is not a noticeable difference when using it at REGULAR eye level.

Unless you are reading text with a magnifying glass the Galaxy S is absolutely fine.

Indeed, it's all well and good having a high resolution but on a 3.5" screen it's a little pointless to be honest.

But it's going get even more silly when we get 720p 3.5" screens, what a joke!

It's like the megapixel wars. :D

Upvote 0
Indeed, it's all well and good having a high resolution but on a 3.5" screen it's a little pointless to be honest.

But it's going get even more silly when we get 720p 3.5" screens, what a joke!

It's like the megapixel wars. :D
Well, I guess there's one advantage to having that high resolution on the iPhone 4. Not only is the display smaller than the competitors but it's also in a dumb aspect ratio so if you're going to watch movies on it the widescreen ratio will use less of the available screen space than it will on the comparable android phones.

A smaller screen using less of it's surface will perhaps force you to put it closer to your eyes. The proper solution would of course be to get with the times and use a wider display in horizontal view but that obviously didn't happen.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess there's one advantage to having that high resolution on the iPhone 4. Not only is the display smaller than the competitors but it's also in a dumb aspect ratio so if you're going to watch movies on it the widescreen ratio will use less of the available screen space than it will on the comparable android phones.

A smaller screen using less of it's surface will perhaps force you to put it closer to your eyes. The proper solution would of course be to get with the times and use a wider display in horizontal view but that obviously didn't happen.

Yep, the screen ratio is puzzling, you have to wonder who decided to go with that, and than sack them. :D

Upvote 0
Then again things apparently can differ since the people I know that own the 3GS have had problems and it does not work flawlessly, especially not as a phone. Bad reception and mediocre call quality. Not great battery life either. They have done several things very well though, which is partially thanks to that it's so limited.

I'm also constantly on 3G which will eat in to the battery life, as I am in office 8 hours a day, which runs on WPA Enterprise which Android don't do (but iphone does, no issues)...luckily I have a 12GB/month plan so I don't have to worry about exceeding that, but for those people who live in countries where the bandwidth ain't that generous (like Australia) they should seriously consider this point, or at least walk over to their IT dept and check whether the wifi is on WPA-Enterprise.

My screen also heats up like an afterburner with Tom Cruise behind it when I use it for more than 30 minutes!

And I'm seriously doubting the 1Ghz processor, cos every freakin' program lags, I never saw this in the iPhone 3g...

As I mentioned previously, yes Apple marketing are tops at overselling whatever limited functions they have, but those limited functions work brilliantly...Samsung still has a long way to go in the QA stakes...

Upvote 0
Hardware-wise the SGS is hands down the winner in almost all aspects. They do have different interfaces and that's best to test out a bit yourself if you have the chance to do so in a store. The opinions of which is best is definitely varying from person to person.

When it comes to Android updates the Nexus One will of course get them the quickest as it's a Google phone. I don't think you need to worry about the Desire or SGS not getting updates though.

Personally I think the SGS is the one that feels like the most modern phone. The Nexus One came out quite a while ago now and the Desire is basically the same phone with a few tweaks. I'm happy that I cancelled my order for a Desire and went with the SGS, but it's of course also possible that my recommendation is biased towards what I own so take that into account.

Point noted. Thanks a lot. I finally decided on the SGS and booked it as well. Can't wait to get hold of it.

Upvote 0
I'm also constantly on 3G which will eat in to the battery life, as I am in office 8 hours a day, which runs on WPA Enterprise which Android don't do (but iphone does, no issues)...luckily I have a 12GB/month plan so I don't have to worry about exceeding that, but for those people who live in countries where the bandwidth ain't that generous (like Australia) they should seriously consider this point, or at least walk over to their IT dept and check whether the wifi is on WPA-Enterprise.

My screen also heats up like an afterburner with Tom Cruise behind it when I use it for more than 30 minutes!

And I'm seriously doubting the 1Ghz processor, cos every freakin' program lags, I never saw this in the iPhone 3g...

As I mentioned previously, yes Apple marketing are tops at overselling whatever limited functions they have, but those limited functions work brilliantly...Samsung still has a long way to go in the QA stakes...
I'm constantly on 3G as well, my carrier doesn't even provide anything else. I still get around 48 hours of use, despite that the coverage isn't perfect at my summer house. As for heat I haven't noticed anything special with this phone so can't say much about that. I don't have lag in my apps either so there must be something wrong for you. That's unless you're referring to scrolling which is a bit smoother on an iPhone since it uses the GPU for the UI. The Galaxy S still runs pretty close to that for me (not anywhere near where I would call that lag) despite only using the CPU, although some other Android phones perform worse so I hope Google can implement GPU acceleration. That's one of the best things Apple achieved.

And as I mentioned previously, they didn't get a fundamental thing like the phone function right so Apple is not flawless when it comes to the functions they choose to implement.

Upvote 0
anybody ever had this message?
my friend using the Samsung Galaxy S experienced this..
in her words..
"This is what my phone calls me when it gets annoyed that I press the wifi button too many times!"
Android: wifi antenna is working.. wait.. dumb ass...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

haha , that was funny XD
I guess she is using a customed rom, which one is it ? :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones