Help Me Participate More!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trendon, Mar 24, 2010.

1. trendon

trendon Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I bought the Hero a few months ago and made a couple of posts. I then promptly moved to Costa Rica and have been stuck with the most ass-backwards old Nokia phone possible.

I brought the Hero with me because I can still use WiFi, but I've officially had it with this garbage phone and I want to enjoy the gorgeous Hero. So, I investigate and find out that all I have to do is unlock the Hero and swap the SIM card.

I found the way to unlock the phone; that's not the issue. However, where the hell is the SIM card? I Google it and all I find are the instructions on how to remove the SIM on Hero's with the chin ... I don't have that.

I open up the phone and I see the micro SD slot, a larger slot underneath the volume buttons, and - to the right of the camera lens - a flap that I cannot seem to open.

In short, where is the SIM card?!

Thank you for your time and your patience with this potentially silly question.

Advertisement
  2. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    Brighton
    Under the battery?

3. dekky

dekky Member

Jan 30, 2010
    How did you put it first time...on maybe every phone sim is under the battery.

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer
    VIP Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    I presume you are from the US? US CDMA phones do not use SIM cards like the rest of the world.

trendon likes this.
  5. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    How daft is that.

6. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer
    VIP Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    Always gotta be different :D

I've had a look around on the net for you but it seems Costa Rica purly uses GSM, there are no CDMA services.

trendon likes this.
  7. lekky

lekky Lover
    VIP Member

I did not know that.

8. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer
    VIP Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    Yea, It's purely based on the MEID (IMEI as we know it on this side of the pond) number of the handset.

9. trendon

trendon Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I am equally happy and pissed about this.

Happy because I am not a complete moron for not finding the SIM and pissed because now I have to buy another one.

Thank you for the answer! I'll be back as soon as I play the absurd, bloated price for the Hero they have down here in CR.

10. trendon

trendon Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Yep. :) You go to a store in the US and there is a liter of Coca-Cola sitting next to a gallon of milk.

Also, let me ask you guys this since I am in full newbie mode. What is a reasonable price for a Hero (or any Android phone if you don't mind "selling" me on another one) that I can use here in Costa Rica?

I am completely clueless on this because I am accustomed to buying my phone(s) tied to a contract/telco.

Tags: