Help me please :(

Last Updated:

1. vinny.minso

vinny.minso Active Member This Topic's Starter

I feel dumb...I really can't figure out how to fix my droid, I rooted a while back and now that froyo is out it never updates fully. It is constantly trying and failing to update and thus killing my battery.. What do I do :( ?!!?

Advertisement
  2. vinny.minso

No one can help me?

3. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

download Rom Manager and install a froyo rom. several to choose from. get the full benefits of having root access to your droid.

4. vinny.minso

Thank You. Download a Rom from the computer or my phone?

5. whenbrokenx

whenbrokenx Member

you can download a ROM from the computer and then transfer it to your phone VIA the usb cord or you can just download the ROM via rom manager right to your phone. Directly on Rom manager is probably the easiest way for you.

6. vinny.minso

Thanks but it still doesnt seem to be working :( is there a way to get rid of the previous root i was using, like the old roms etc?

7. whenbrokenx

whenbrokenx Member

well by installing a new rom you in turn get rid of the old rom. However its best to wide data and cache before installing your new rom. I'm old school in that I use SPrecovery because that what i first rooted on way back when so i'm not very farmiliar with clockwork or rom manager so I think someone else on the forums might be better suited to explain this process better. However, if i were you and you want to stay rooted and just get a new rom going this is what i would do. Find the rom you want here--> http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/
    Then download it to your computer. Once downloaded rename the file to update.zip and place it on the root of the SD card on your phone. Use rom manager to flash SPrecovery. Once in the recovery select wipe data/factory reset and do this, then select wipe cache and do this. then navigate to the install option...click allow install....then click install. then reboot. This should work but i'm sure someone here can be clearer in their explanation than i am.

If you just want to keep your root and rom as is and want to stop the update from occuring and draining your batter then please read this... Peter Alfonso
    that should help you.

If you want to UNROOT and start over then see the youtube link on the 4th video at this post, it has most of the info you should need. http://androidforums.com/droid-how-tips/43108-video-guide-rooting-your-droid-easy-peasy.html

Good luck...I hope this info is helpful.

8. vinny.minso

Nothing seems to work..I have clockwork mod and no matter what I do I cannot remove it, i am just not good enough with this phone to fix it.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Removing your root with a bad ROM will not improve your situation. But you're not out of luck, here. If you can follow step-by-step instructions, we can get you back to operating condition fast. But first, we need to know some things:

How did you root? What Froyo ROM are you using? What is your baseband? These things will be in Settings--> About Phone.

Once we have an idea of where to start, the destination will be easy. I would suggest TheUltimateDroid 1.0.0, which is available in another thread, since it is the most up-to-date and most customizable ROM out there (IMHO). Download the ROM to your PC, move it to the root of your SD card, and then go into ClockworkMod using x+power. Wipe data 3 times (this will wipe your cache too), and install zip from SD card and choose the UD1 ROM. Let it load and log back into Google once you reboot the phone. From there we can tweak things, but does this help you at all?

10. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

what never updates fully? I personally do not understand what the issue is. Can you load a new ROM? If you can find a ROM and load a new ROM on. If you can not load a new ROM. let us know. Why would you want to remove clockwork mod? What is trying to update and failing?

I would suggest to load up SS 4.8 see what that does for you.

11. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

If you are rooted clockwork will block the update. To keep this from happening you can flash a new current rom or:

Try this (credit to girlluvsdroid and sinfuldragon) it worked for me:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon [​IMG]
    quoted from GirLuvsDroid

Hopefully, you have Root Explorer (and if you don't, I highly recommend it because it's so worth the couple of bucks). Here are the instructions to prevent to the FRG22D OTA update (which I was getting yesterday myself):

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/
    2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor
    3. Once the file is open as a text file, scroll down until you see the line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" and change it to read as follows:
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
    4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automatically back up the original file for you)
    5. Tap Mount R/O at the top
    6. Reboot

You will no longer get the OTA update notifications, because Verizon will believe you already have it.

That didn't work for me until I changed the line above it that says "description" to match, now there's no more update. Thanks!

12. vinny.minso

fixed it thanks to all of you for helping :tup: